Help! Trimming bookcase

Hi, I need help - I'm installing a bookcase between a wall and a door jamb. I have it flush against the door jamb, and there appears to be a bow in the wall - I've checked the bookcase and it is plumb and square. I suppose the framers for the house put the studs in crown-side out, which is making the bow. Anyway, I'm trimming the front of the bookcase to cover the gap, and the trim will not go flush all the way up - it rocks part way up. What can I do?

- Bill

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt

You'll have to explain more clearly. Maybe you have to bend the trim as far as it will go, and maybe you have to use paintable caulk to fill the difference. Meanwhile, never assume any wall is straight.

-B

If you're using plan trim, like flat stock, do what the kitchen cabinet installers do. Tack the trim to the bookcase, so that it's against the wall as much as possible. Take a compass adjusted to the widest gap, draw a line down the trim following the wall contour, then trim to fit the contour.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock