Help: Sun, furniture, and marital discord!

We have a nice Wells Fargo desk which fades in the sun.
Our scientist friend has said that after 5 PM, infrared rays are not strong.
So I raised the shade to the west at 6 PM.
My wife argues that, if the sun is strong enough to warm the wood, it is harmful.
Can you assist this relationship?
Thank you very much.
Dwight
Dwight wrote:

Infrared isn't particularly important, ultraviolet is. AAMOF, if your desk fades in the sun it will fade in any light, just slower. My advice is let it fade...it will ultimately reach a point of stability.
--

dadiOH