Help! Streaky Paint On Walls!!!!

Hi
I have just bought a house and have been painting the living room all weekend. After washing the walls and putting on a primer, we painted on our first layer of color with brushes and rollers.
We haven't used cheap paint or brushes. Why would the walls look all patchy and streaky?? what did we do wrong? would this turn out okay on second coat of color??
Please help!
Many thanks
Mike

if it doesnt correct itself, did you use the correct type of primer for the type of paint you used?
randy

yes, we did.
Mike Noirca wrote:

I have seen this, too, here in Denmark .. the moisture from the paint will go through the primer, dissolve some old stuff below, that then will seep back out through the primer and paint. Same result on next coat of paint, etc. A non (water)permeable primer solved it.
Soren
message

ya thats still my thoughts too. something is seeping through.
how long did you let the primer dry before painting it? if you're only using one coat of primer ive found its best to let it dry overnight so any bleeding will stop at the primer.
randy
xrongor wrote:

I think I tried to paint it over several times before I realized it was hopeless. So it must have been > 1 day at least once.
Soren
message

well if multiple coats dont fix it, try getting a scrap of wallboard or something and conduct a test. prime and paint it the same way, with the same primer and paint you used on the walls and see if its the paint, or the wall.
randy
message

In other words, she did not use the correct type of primer? sheesh
Mike Noirca wrote:

Did you put on a much deeper color? Dark colors (esp red and blue) don't cover as well as others, and the paint chart will sometimes indicate such.
FWIW, I've done a lot of painting, watched pro's, and still have trouble getting paint on evenly without roller marks.
On 02 Aug 2004, Mike Noirca wrote

Perhaps a dumb question, but have you let it dry fully?
(We had a terrible fright the first time we painted with emulsion paint; went to bed feeling just *awful* at the sight of what we'd done; and woke up the next morning to a smooth and pretty surface. If it's not that, I dunno...)
--
Cheers,
Harvey
On 2 Aug 2004 07:50:24 -0700, mont snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mike Noirca) wrote:

You probably didn't put enuff paint on the walls. If you get cheap and try to stretch the paint this can happen. Try repainting one wall. Get the roller good and wet and lay a thick coat on there. See if it helps.
Mort

I would definitly do a second coat on a wall and let it dry completely before tinkering with correction. You aren't using a darker color are you? We did a dark red in our dining room and a navy in another room and they needed primer plus three coats for rich coverage. HTH
JennP.

Depends on what "patchy and streaky" means. Could be bad technique. Could be your definition of "cheap". Could be bad paint, or improperly stirred paint, or multiple cans of paint that weren't mixed ahead of time and don't match perfectly.
As another poster said, be sure to give it plenty of time to thoroughly dry before you assume you have a problem. If you do, another coat will nearly always fix it. Don Young