help solve this mystery

Got back-to-back wall 110vac outlets. Let's call 'em outlets 1A/1B, and 2A/2B.
Presumably, these are fed by a common wire.
1A/1B have been in daily use for several years. Don't know when 2A or 2B were last used.
Yesterday, 1A/1B, and 2A were found dead. How can this be? I thought if 2A were dead, 2B would have to be dead also. But, it's still hot.
How could 1A/1B be dead, with 2A dead?
I'm fixing to troubleshoot, and need to know what to look for (yes, I have the little neon glow testers and a multimeter). I'd like to have some idea of what to expect. Right now I have none.
RB wrote:

Not sure as to your wiring description.
1A & 1B on the same plug, as in upper plug and lower plug?
1A in one room and 1B on the other side of the wall in another room?
Still trying to get a idea as to the layout.
Start at the hot plug and walk down the wall and tell us what you see.
Is it like this?
+ =========== ====== =====* ======+
Or like this?
+ ======= & 1B =====* & 2B
Or like this?
1B 2B Wall **********=*********=********* + =========*
Hope my ASCII art holds up. ;-)
1A/1B is one double outlet. 2A/2B is another double outlet. They are back to back.
RB wrote:

Yo didn't mention whether any breakers (or fuses) opened. Chances are that one serving the now dead outlets did. If not, luouve got a "loose disconnection" somewhere.
Pull the #2 receptical. I bet you'll find that the "disconnect" straps on the side of the receptical have been snapped off and that there's two sets of black and white leads running to the two halves of that receptical.
Why? I dunno, but perhaps someone wanted to use half of the outlet for a floor lamp controlled by a wall switch, and they brought the power to that switch from another circuit.
Let us know what you find.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:50:43 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

I agree with you up to a point. I'm guessing the line feed is to 2B, to 2A through the disconnect strap and then to 1A & B with a jumper from 2A. Same troubleshooting procedure; check the straps on 2.
RB wrote:

It could be that 2A is fed by a different line. There is a little tab that can be broken off to separate the A from the B.
Rich256 wrote:

And of course be certain that the breakers that feed it are turned off.
}}} Have you pulled them out and looked at the wires?
It could be that 2A is fed by a different line. There is a little tab that can be broken off to separate the A from the B. {{{
You're right. I pulled the outlet on one side of the wall. I found the dual sockets were independent of each other, electrically. And, there were two red wires on one side, and two white wires on the other.
At that point, I called an electrician to come sort it out.
Don't know what he'll find about the outlet on the opposite side of the wall.
RB wrote:

One configuration I might have expected was to find that there was a white feeding one side and a black and a red to the A and B hot sides. That would have indicated to me that it was being fed by a 220 volt line (110 to each outlet). Two reds surprises me.

Start with the basics. Look for bad connections and loose wires. Take out the receptacles and look for power on the wires. The one receptacle that works may be wired to a different circuit, like maybe a wall switch.
RB wrote:

Because each outlet/socket has its own set of connections.

--
Thank you,

BE VERY CAREFUL with what appears to be a dead outlet if your unsure as to which breaker its on!
Better to turn off the main and use a flashlight.
you might have a lose wire and get shocked.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I recall doing some work on one of my mothers outlets. I turned off the breaker then went to work. Got shocked and used ssome colorful language to express that I had turned the power off.
My mother had some joke about my fathers wiring at that point :)
--
Thank you,

dnoyeB wrote:

Now that I recall it, this was my fault. The outlet under the sink has one portion switched by a light switch for the garbage grinder, and the other wired standard. I turned off the switched part, then got shocked by the other part.
So he may want to see if one outlet is on a switch.
--
Thank you,

BE VERY CAREFUL with what appears to be a dead outlet if your unsure as to which breaker its on!
Better to turn off the main and use a flashlight.
you might have a lose wire and get shocked.
BE VERY CAREFUL with what appears to be a dead outlet if your unsure as to which breaker its on!
Better to turn off the main and use a flashlight.
you might have a lose wire and get shocked.
So several months have passed since your message, what was the solution to your dead socket problems?
Bob