Help routing dryer belt with idler

I have a Frigidare gallery dryer that I have just replaced the glides and rear bearing on, and cleaned up. But I am stuck on where the spring on the idler goes. Viewing from the back, I have the belt coming down the left side, around the motor pulley, then the back of the belt is over the idler and then back to the drum. The problem is that the only obvious place to put the spring seems to contact the belt while it is moving. The idler bracket does not resemble the one on the appliance repair site. Instead on mine there is a small tab on the motor bracket that seems to be where the spring goes. On the idler arm, there is a small hole at the end of the arm and a larger one closer to the pulley.

The only question I really have is where do the ends of the spring go? Is it attached from the front or back of the hole in the idler arm?

A diagram is on page 8 of the following pdf. ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo_PDF/Webster/95326377.pdf

Thanks

Reply to
axzi

Hi,

This should help.....

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks Jeff, but I am still stuck, this is the picture that I used, unfortunately, my motor mount does not look like that nor does my spring. My spring is very thin, possibly about the diameter of the belt. My mount is solid at the bottom and has a little tab on the left side where the spring looks like it might bo. But when I use that tab, the motor and belt tend to rub. Also in this picture, it looks like there is a retainer holding on the idler. Is that right? On mine the idler has nothing holding it onto the shaft, other than the belt. The other possibility is that the arm is not on the pivot properly. It appears to have a spacer that is behind the arm but maybe that is not correct, should it be in the front?

Thanks

Reply to
axzi

G'day,

The pic is an older style and yours is newer...same idea....spring runs from small tab to the idler pulley bracket hole.

To save a few pennies they eliminated the clip holder and just use the pressure of the belt being in place to hold the pulley onto the shaft.

correct, should it be in the front?

Behind.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid