Help replacing starter rope on tiller

I have replaced mine at least twice. Yes, the spring comes flying out, and yes it is a big pain to get it back in there. I did manage to do it though, although I don't remember exactly how.

One suggestion is to try putting in an extra long cord, and leave the spring as loose as you can when you put it back in. Then once it is assembled (with little or no spring tension) you can pull some of the cord out (winding the spring), cut it short, and put on the cord handle. This might be easier than starting with a normal length cord.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Jeff Wisnia wrote: ....

There are (or should be) holes in the pulley to put a nail or other pin through to catch the end of the spring to prevent it coming loose...keep tension on it so it doesn't get loose...

Amen...particularly the eyes...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

You can do it without the spring flying out if you're careful about how you take it apart and how you "wind it up" and hold it when attaching the new rope prior to letting it draw the rope in and putting it back onto the engine.

Do yourself a favor in advance and wear gloves and something to protect your eyes while doing the job.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My last pull broke the rope. I want to replace it, but I recall trying it on a string trimmer before and having the spring fly out, never to be coaxed into the housing again. Does anyone have any tips for replacement?

It's a standard B&S engine, front tine MTD tiller

Thanks...

Reply to
Mister Sensitive

Unless the spring broke or came loose from the rewind spool or housing, you don't have to handle the spring. Remove remaining piece of rope by picking it out, then wind the spool itself carefully till it stops. There is a hole in the spool that needs to be lined up with the rope hole in the housing. Clamp spool in place with Vise-Grips. Thread a piece of small wire through the end of the rope and fish it through the spool hole and tie your knot. Carefully release the grips, and allow the spool to wind up the rope till it's slack. Pull out as much as needed to keep rope tension at all times, then tie your handle on. Wear safety glasses during all this, and gloves.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Tiller and mowers are pretty easy. Just remove the housing and look at the various parts to see how they fit. Never had a problem with springs flying. Parts are probably much larger than on a string trimmer. A look at the parts blow up in your manual should show how it all fits together.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon