help replacing condenser fan motor

I am trying to replace my condensor cooling fan on my home ac unit. My problem is that the motor i took off had 3 wires, brown,yellow,black. The new motor has 4 wires, brown,brown/wht,black,white and a external ground wire. The wiring diagram for the AC unit shows the brown to the Fan on the capacitor, The Yellow going to C on capacitor, and The black going to T2 on contactor. Can someone PLEASE help me on where to connect the new wires. The capacitor has 3 terminals, --FAN, C, HERM--- the contactor has T1 and T2 terminals. I have the brown wire to the FAN and the Brown/wht wire to the C and the black to T2. I know the white wire needs to be connected but i don't know where, probably neutral. Any info is appreciated.
Why would you even think of hooking up the WRONG motor.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

The motor i am replacing is the original motor and the AC unit looks to be a fairly old one. I didn't figure i would be able to get the exact motor. I got the motor from an electric motor company and it is a direct replacment for the one i took off, all the specs are the same. It didn't surprise me the wires were different since the motor is probably made to fit different applications. Thanks for the reply....
dev wrote:

go back to the electric motor shop and ask the guy who works there what wire goes where and do you have the correct wire... when i brought an old one in to be rewired i had made up a diagram of how it was attached, what wire goes where... after a rebuild they had all the wires colored the same... the guy had them numbered for me(which was no good).. he then told me what number goes where(what the original colors were)... and also check to see if you got the correct motor??????

You probably don't have the correct capacitor for the new motor. You need to return to where you got the motor and get the proper run capacitor for it. Then follow the diagram that came with the motor to connect the brown and the brown/white to the NEW capacitor and the remaining wires to T1 and T2. If this isn't crystal clear in your mind, you'd be better off to call someone to take care of your problem, then you get a warranty.
- Robert

YOU CANT USE THAT CAPACITOR WITH THIS MOTOR OR YOU WILL BURN IT UP !!!
I can't see it from here but I think the yellow one may be from the compressor.
The capacitor in the unit is a dual purpose, and you can now only use the one side of it for the compressor.
You need a separate capacitor for the fan motor.
You must get professional help for this, there is no way we can explain in the detail over a newsgroup how to wire something like this and be sure that you aren't killed in the process.
I strongly suggest you call the company out who installed it and pay them for their years of dedication it took to put the correct motor in correctly instead of trying to save about $100. If you wire it wrong you won't just take out the motor, you can ruin the transformer, the compressor, cause a fire and the worse case would be you to be killed. I have seen motors wired wrong and work for hours, then the fires start. Not trying to freak you out, I have nothing to gain if you put it in or call someone, but I do have a conscience and I know the dangers your subjecting yourself and your family too.

I understand and thanks for your concern. Since the motor is a direct replacement and all the specs are the same, (e.g. 5mfd), i just thought the original cap would work. I wired the white and black to T1 and T2 on the contactor and the solid brown to the fan side of capacitor and the brown/wht i capped off. The motor started and ran fine as far as i can tell. I did get a new 5mfd cap from the place i got the motor but it didn't come with the motor he just looked at the 5mfd rating on the motor and grabbed a 5mfd cap. We are not using the AC yet so before it starts getting hot i will probably have someone come out and check it out for me. I really was hoping the replacement motor would be exactly the same as far as the wiring goes. Thanks again,
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (dev) wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for replying so fast..