Help removing mounting tape?

About 3-4 years ago I used mounting tape (double-sided, foam in center) to put some things up on my wall. At the time I was thinking that it would be there for a much longer time. Things change.

Now I've take the things down and am stuck (no pun intended) with bits of mounting tape left on the wall. There are about 100 little bits of mounting tape. :-(

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove it? I thought about "Goo Gone" but it's oily and will run down the wall. If I can't find any other way, I'll cut around it with an exacto knife, pull it off with the drywall paper covering, and then spackle over it. I'd like to entertain other options first.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~

"I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson

Suzie-Q

Try heating it with a hair drier or heat gun, Most tapes and sticky lables will come loose this way.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

And for good measure, once you get the tape all warm and loose, try picking/scraping at them a putty knife if they don't come loose with your fingernail.

However, try not to let the hair blower run for excessive amounts of time. I've toasted more than one Conair on household chores calling for extended periods of heat (like this one would) by letting 'em run until doomsday without periodically letting the appliance cool its jets.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Any arsonists for hire in the neighborhood? Never mind. Just messin' with you.

I'm too lazy to go consult my own bottle of Goo Gone right now, but if I recall right, the label specifically says it shouldn't be used on painted surfaces. Good thing you didn't try it, methinks. But given the prospect of the mercilessly tedious Xacto thing, I'd pretty much consider anything short of molten lava, too.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Lighter fluid (naphtha) should work. You'll probably have to paint the area, but I assume you anticipate doing that anyway.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

3M makes this kind of tape and they also have a remover for it. Auto body supply shops stock a lot of these specialty products. I'll bet you'll find a good one for the job there. I keep some of these around the shop for troublesome adhesives and they do very nicely, no residues. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst