Help removing a faucet stem

I have a dripping Standard faucet in my bathroom tub. I have managed to dismantle the faucet so that I am looking at the stem. Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the stem out. It doesn't unscrew, just rotates in either direction with no results. It passes through a disc with a hole in the middle (is this the seat?) and doesn't seem fixed. It just wiggles. It seems like if I pull hard enough it'll pop out, but I don't want to break anything. When I did pull on it, I think the disc came out a little bit with it, but I don't know if the disc is threaded in there. How do I get the stem out of there so I can check the washer?
Thanks, Bryan
You have to remove the bonnet nut that is holding the stem in. To do so you need a special socket wrench made for this purpose. A set of them (different sizes) cost only a few dollars. You nay have to remove some caulking or even have to chip away a little bit of tile to get the wrench in.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Bryan Hoyt" < snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com> wrote in message
Thanks, but the bonnet nut is already out. The stem is partly on the other side of what I think is the seat. Do I just pull it through the seat?

in
break
get
Bryan Hoyt wrote:

Assuming it really is an American-Standard fixture, they made a number of different designs. The "Aqua-Seal" stem uses a rubber "Top Hat" instead of a washer and looks like this: http://hardware.everything-warehouse.com/PID-QZsZRs/Hot-Lever-Stem-For-American-Standard-Aqua-Seal-Fi /
In this case, yes, you have to yank it out as the Top Hat gets stuck.
The seat is further back in there and requires a seat wrench to loosen. Inspect the seat carefully for nicks.
Jim
got it. thanks for the help.

can't
It