Help: propane tank/gas grill problem

We replaced the propane tank on our Sunbeam gas grill, and now the grill won't light. There seems to be no gas getting to the burner.
Can you suggest what the problem might be?
Thanks, -Al
make sure the burners are off before you turn the tank on.
otherwise swap with a neighbor to see if something happened to your tank or grill!
Wayne

Thanks for the suggestions--didn't know about the valve on/off thing.
The tank is full, and the hose connector has been screwed on properly, so I'm hoping that when my son replaced the tank one of the grill valves was in the on position. I'll report back when it's fixed!
-A.
Al Cunniff wrote:

If the hose connector wasn't screwed onto the tank threading properly, it won't permit any gas to go to the grill. I understand that's a safety feature. Try unscrewing it and reconnecting it more carefully. If it's threaded on even a little incorrectly it may look like a tight connection, but you won't get gas to the unit.
HellT
<< We replaced the propane tank on our Sunbeam gas grill, and now the grill won't light. >>
Was the tank an unfilled new one? Best way to check is to heft the new tank. If it feels to be about the same weight as your old one it's empty. The 20 lb. difference between empty and full should be easily detected. HTH
Joe
Update: tried the valve sequence trick, made sure the tank is full, still no gas flow.
I called the place where we get our propane tanks filled and they said in newer tanks (which this is) there's a float that can get stuck up at the top of the tank and block the gas flow.
They advised me to lift the tank about 8 in. off the ground and let it drop so it strikes the ground sharply, hopefully dislodging the float.
I tried a quick drop, but it didn't do the trick.
Any other ideas?
-Al
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:34:39 GMT, "Jerry Levine"
DO NOT OPEN THE VALVE WITH THE TANK UPSIDE DOWN !!! (And of course do not run the grill that way).
Bob
Might have a bad regulator Andy

Many newer grills have a safety feature built in where the valve will not allow gas to flow if the burner valve is in ON position when the valve on the tank is opened.
Try this - Shut of all valves, disconnect and then re-connect hose to tank, turn on valve above LP tank, THEN turn on burner valve, light w/ spark or match...
This feature can be really frustrating if you don't know it is in operation...
Good luck,
Kevin O'