help, pls, with flush valve

I could use some advice here...

RE: Kohler/ Rialto toilet...

After years of leaking, I finally bought repair kits for this toilet... (Kohler).. to make a long story short, they redesigned the flush valve (which was where they notoriously leaked) .. anyway, I have replaced the flush valve and gasket and no matter what I do, it still leaks -seems the builder/plumber used silicone when installing the original flush valve.. I have not been able to completely remove the silicone from the china - so either I remove it all (help? advice?) or do what Kohler really does not recommend, put another batch of silicone to seal...(unconventional, but should I just do it anyway?)

Advice? thank you.. I am at wits end...

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Shut off the water and flush to empty the tank. Remove the valve assembly. Use a stiff putty knife and remove all of the caulk (both inside and out). Reinstall the valve and you should be good to go ... if there is not a crack in the porcelain casting.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Thanks Charles.. I pretty much have done this, however the silicone has left a very thin skin/layer which I have not been able to scrape off... It's in an awkward location, but I have used wire brush, and where I can, a razor blade...

Sand paper was suggested to me.. is there a heavy course that can get wet... ? Should I just keep at it with the putty knife.. ?

thank you for your help?

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

No. For surfaces that can tolerate it, methylene chloride-based paint strippers will attack and soften the cured silicone. One example is 'bodied' KleenStrip. Go to your painting place and read the labels to find the right product. Apply, let it work and the silicone should peel off readily. Follow the directions as to safety, etc., etc. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thank you all! Resolved...

I decided to take one last shot at it before picking up the paint stripper...

I had a wire brush drill attachment (I used a cordless drill, btw!) which did a great job of breaking up the silicone - the rest I easily scraped away with a razor, putty knive, and then cleaned up with a brillo pad.. no damage to the tank and it's clean... I installed the new kit, with no silicone, and finally no leaks...

Thank you all for your help!

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Isn't it great to win one once in a while!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes.. although one is leaking just a tad.. seems I beat up the 'seat' just a little when screwing them in.. so the flapper doesn't sit 100%.. at least the seal doesn't leak.. now the flapper does!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

where did you get the replacement kit. I'm trying to stop a Rialto K3402PB from leaking. Replaced the flapper with a Korky but still does't fil. Figure replacing the flush valve is best approach.

Thanks. Cliff

Reply to
redicliff

Hi....

Got it from:

Part# 84503

I ordered 4- the problem is that it is not leaking from the flapper, apparently the flush valve/gasket just doesn't make a good seal... once you get in there you'll see what I mean.. it just twists off...

Once everything is cleaned off completely, the new one goes into the opening much better and is screwed in with these 'ears'...

I simply googled and they had the best price.. unfortunately I beat one of them up a little - no matter how hard you tighten this thing up, you must be sure all is clean.. the original install used silicone - which they might have done knowing the shortcomings of the original design...

All is fine now- finally!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Just to confirm, Kohler part# 84503 is only the float valve and flush valve for Kohler's Rialto K-3402. They do make a kit that replaces just about everything (84499).. that goes for $100+... Good luck...

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie