Help Please - Leaky flapper valve Kohler 1-piece K-3402 toilet

Help Please - Leaky flapper valve Kohler 1-piece K-3402 Rialto toilet
When I research the problem on the WWW it appears that finding a suitable replacement flapper is a known, recognized problem. Even those sold as Kohler OEM don't work properly (which I can attest to). I've found lots of discussion on that fact, plus other flapper valve suggestions, etc., but no one who says they finally fixed it. Am probably going to try to obtain/replace entire flush valve assy (my local guy says so longer made---must replace entire guts) but before I do, thought I would ask y'all if anyone has solved the problem. Old flapper disintegrating and before I junk this 15 year old, otherwise great commode and replace it with a Toto, I thought I would ask. TIA
<< Help Please - Leaky flapper valve Kohler 1-piece K-3402 Rialto toilet >>
Have you called Kohler customer service? What did they say?
One of the problems with many, not just Kohler, toilets is the corrosive effects of stuff that housewives toss in the tank to make the water blue or whatever. As the rubber damage occurs, small leaks expose some parts of the brass valve seat to more nasty stuff which erodes away that portion faster. Soon the valve seat is wavy, eccentric or anything but round and the rubber flapper will not seal. The solution to the problem is 1) replace the assembly (pricey) or 2) to clean up the brass seat area to match the rubber flapper. One commode in my fleet is a "Pompei" one piece (can't remember the K number) similar to yours. The valve seat corrosion problem arose nearly into it's second decade so I can't really complain. Ordered a bunch of repair parts, removed the assembly and serviced the valve seat area with valve grinding compound from an auto parts store. Any solid object about the size and shape of the rubber flapper can be used for lapping in the valve seat. A billiard ball is about the right size, but you may need several, it pays to be creative. In my case I have a buddy who owns a collection of neat machine tools and doesn't have enough projects to keep his toys busy so he tossed off a quick replica of the flapper ball in steel for me. And it works great now. The water bill went down $30 and there's peace in the valley. HTH
Joe
royroy wrote:

What about these kits?
For Rialto (3402) toilets: http://store.yahoo.com/serviceparts/83095.html
For Rialto (3402, ba rev) toilets: http://store.yahoo.com/serviceparts/83650.html
THis happened on Saturday A.M. so I couldn't call Kohler. Thanks for your help. I reviewed the bidding at Kohler's site and will call them this morning when they are open. It looks like 83095 would be it. We'll see. There are a couple of big supply houses here, so once I find out what I want, will try them before ordering Thanks again
On Sun, 02 May 2004 16:51:47 -0500, Ermalina

Spoke with a real helper at Kohler Monday. After he heard how the OEM flapper had failed to held back the water, he offered to send me the whole flush valve fitting---free. Says it will be here today. After that, stopped by my local plumbing tutor, who insisted it wa simply a bad flapper and gave me another. Installed it and it worked fine. I am going nuts trying to adjustr water level. Float valve water level screw all the way down. Bending the float arm is a real trial and error evolution. Will probably pull the screw and match it for one a bit longer. Two things which may be of interest if you have one of these jewels: Kohler gent says the water level mark on the tube is to high and effort must be made to keep water level below rinfeed hose connection to rim, or, very slowly, tank water will leak from the rim that way, but not from the flapper My local guy says the new square tubed flush valve flapper has a styrofoam bulb on it which eventually will come lose and once it does the toilet is toast. Any experience guys.