HELP: Paint a radiator?

Hello,
I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has yellowed.
I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of paint on pipes that heat up?
Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.
Thanks!!!
--Virgil
<DIV>Hello,<BR><BR>I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been <BR>painted over many times.&nbsp; The outermost layer is a white latex that has <BR>yellowed.<BR><BR>I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black <BR>or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot.&nbsp; Can I use regular <BR>paints on the radiator?&nbsp; Please note that I have a two-year old <BR>daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of <BR>paint on pipes that heat up?<BR><BR>Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from <BR>the radiator by painting it.&nbsp; My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.<BR><BR>Thanks!!!<BR><BR>--Virgil</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080>Don't use regular paint...look for radiator paint</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000080></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id8

They sell special paint for that. Regular paint wont work.

Very interesting link.
Mike

It is interesting. They also point out that coal fired heaters are only about 50% efficient.
I would have though that the metallic paint would have provided more heat by conduction than is lost by radiation compared to other paints.
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:49:36 GMT, Virgil Kent

I'd use an automotive Engine paint from the auto parts store. It won't fade or yellow Like you said, you have plenty of heat.
PJ