HELP: Outdoor BBQ - Tile countertop in extreme temps

Hello all,

We're in the process of building an outdoor BBQ, using a Weber Summit Gold Built-In gas grill

On the structure itself that is being built, I would like to use a tile countertop surface. However, my mason has no experience tiling on exterior surfaces and doesn't know the exact materials to use.

I'm located in Pennsylvania, which has the full array of weather conditions. Hot in the summer (today alone it was 95), and freezing and snow in the winter. So with this major temperature swing in mind, what I'm looking for advice on is this:

  1. What type of tile would be best for this countertop surface, that will hold up to the elements?
  2. Is there any special mortar addative that will need to be used when adhesing this tile?
  3. Same goes for grout... any special grout or grout addative that should be used to allow for the temp changes?

Kevin G.

Reply to
Kevin G.

OK Kevin - While G Henslee and RicodJour duke it out over add mixtures I'll sum up some things.

Cover it when expecting freeze thaw. This is what will kill the tile the fastest. Water will seep into the hairline cracks between the grout and the tile, freeze and cause cracking.

Use a grout additive like what G Henslee recommended in his link or get grout with it already in the mix. This will ensure a better bond.

Where in PA are you? I am from PA. I have bought tile many places but have had great advice and service from these folks...

Their website is lame. I cant remember the peoples names but they were very helpful when talking about additives, latex modified this and that, etc. If they are convenient stop by and check them out. Their showroom is kind of small with tons of samples crammed into several rooms. Figure on browsing for a while.

Good luck - Take some pictures when complete and post them for us to see.

Reply to
No