Help On Fax/Phone Line

Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then out to printer with the line in.

Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall. Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

Reply to
Nick

This can be done a few different ways and still will work the same way.

My method is to have a multi line plug adapter at the phone jack. Each unit is plugged in by itself.

Each unit receives the same ring in pulse at the same time. You set the fax to pick up after say, 4 or 5 rings. That gives you time to answer the phone before the fax picks up. If you have an answering machine, it will know to ignore a fax tone.

Read the instructions for each and it will give you the best setting for different circumstances. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you are willing to spend a few dollars a month, your phone company may offer "distictive ring service". They will give you a second phone number, on the same line, for the fax with its own ring. Probably 2 short rings, instead of one long ring for your regular service. Your fax may be able to be programed to amswer only on two rings, and ignore the single ring. If not, never mind! I had it for a few years ands it worked well. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Yes, many of the new Faxes can be programmed to answer the distinctive ring. I have that setup right now and am happy with it. It still ties up the same phone line, but uses a different incoming number and has the 2 short rings like you suggested.

Maury

Reply to
CMF

Get a little device called a "fax switch". They're cheap and, in my experience, reliable.

I've had one from Command Communications for years.

Ermalina

Thanks to all who helped and posted. I did find that on my machine when set to ans/fax it does not work with current wiring the way I have it. However, setting to fax only it receives it without moving a wire. Maybe the machine is screwed up or something in the line I have daisy chained like phone, answer machine, pc modem is interfering. Actually it is not a problem if I know I will get afax. i will just set to fax and wait and then change it back to phone. But ans/fax should work if fax is heard it runs machine and if not then phone keeps ringing. Correct. Nick

Reply to
Nick

Hi Nick!

N > Hi and excuse me if this is not kosher to this category but I had no N > where to turn too. I want to connect an all in on fax/copy/printer and N > modem to same phone line. SO would I run a line to modem first then N > out to printer with the line in. N > N > Or would I split ther line with a 2 line inline splitter and one for N > modem on pc and the other to the printer for it to answer fax. How N > would the fax know to answer vs. the phone ringing then from the wall. N > Hope somebody can shed some light on me for this. Nick

As someone else mentioned, get a line switcher. I think Emerson has been advertising one on TV lately for around $40 -- no personal experience with that one.

-------> Telephone Tel Line ------> Switcher -------> Modem -------> Fax

If you have multiple telphones you can run a second line back to the demarc and plug the other phones in to the "Telephone" jack, so when you are on-line with the modem or fax someone can't pick up an extension and disrupt the session. (When I did this years ago they'd get a busy signal.)

|---- To phones in rest of house (orig. plugged into Demarc) | -->>------------------------- | Tel. | Demarc --------> Switcher ------ ---------> Modem + local phone (in room) ------> Fax

  • Is it possible to feel gruntled?
Reply to
barry martin