Help Needed with oil furnace

Someone worked on my furnace and removed the "Burner motor/pump/transformer/igniter assembly" from the furnace. Three bolts were loosened, the oil line was disconnected and the assembly was rotated slightly to gain access to the combustion chamber. While doing so, the gasket between the combustion chamber and the assembly was destroyed. The original gasket looked like a normal type of gasket. He replaced it with "Combustion Chamber Lining." It's called "Kaowool" and manufactured by a company called "Lynn." This material is wet and the instructions state that it's supposed to be used to line a fire chamber.

Are there any oil furnace technicians out there that would actually use "Combustion Chamber Lining" instead of a gasket that is designed and or specified for the job?

I am very concerned whenever someone modifies a machine that can kill if it malfunctions.

(don't want to get) toasted

Reply to
toasted

I think the only problem with using wet-pak as a front plate gasket is that it might let air through, making the burner less efficient. Absent a gasket, furnace cement would probably be a better choice.

Reply to
Joe