help me to choose a drill on a budget

Page 2 of 3

- I do own a cordless (24v B&D), and like it, but it was a $25 impulse purchase off the remainder table at the borg, marked down from about $60.
Not for nothing, but I wouldn't expect a $60 cordless drill, even a 24V model, to be able to handle even the smallest of jobs. Perhaps that's why it was on the remainder table.
My wife went to the B&D store at an outlet mall. She wanted to surprise me with tool so she asked the salesman for some help. When she told him that most of my tools are Dewalts, he suggested she go buy me a shirt or something! He didn't want to sell her anything B&D because the quality is so inferior to Dewalt.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? Old B&D tools were OK.
on 9/22/2007 11:29 PM Tony Hwang said the following:

Black & Decker owns: Black & Decker DeWalt Porter-Cable Delta Machinery Kwikset (home locks) Baldwin (home door locks, lighting, hardware) Weiser Lock ( home door locks) Price Pfister (faucets) Emhart Teknologies (fasteners)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Used to be, about 30+ years ago. B & D went from making good quality professional tools to cheap consumer grade to imported junk.
I suppose they own pepsi and coke also. ??
can you provide some documention to this alleged ownership?

on 9/23/2007 2:47 PM Steve Barker LT said the following:

I aim to please. http://www.bdk.com/index.asp Click on 'Our Companies' in the bar.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

NO, it is NOT. NOT NOT NOT.
Wait a minute.
Am I saying yes or no?
MNSHO is that Black and Decker is an average tool for the minimal user, and is basically a throw away.
YM (and opinion) M (and probably does) V
Steve

-- I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa?
They do. But why does that matter in terms of what the B&D salesperson told my wife?
Ford sells Neons and Ford sells F-350's. If my wife was looking at a Neon for me and told the salesman I'm used to driving F-350's, I'd hope (and expect) that the salesman would steer her away from the Neon. I might actually go back to a saleman that understood my needs and didn't try to sell me (or the wife) something just to make the sale.
on 9/24/2007 4:12 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

Ford does not sell Neon. Dodge 'used' to sell Neon. The Neon was replaced by the Dodge Caliber.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I bet the Dodge dealers are pissed off about that.

Get a corded drill. For the price you want to pay, they're better. You can find a pretty decent one for $50-60 or so and it will last many many years. I believe the Makita drills have replaceable brushes, so for $5 every 10 or 20 years, you can keep the drill going.
However, most corded drills don't have a "pistol" grip like the battery powered drills do. Corded drills have the grip at the end of the drill, which (IMO) isn't as good as the battery powered drills since it's not properly balanced.
Yes the cord can be a hassle, but for a drill it doesn't need to be the heavy-duty kind. In fact even 'light-duty' would do the job just fine.
snipped-for-privacy@ucdavis.edu wrote:

Here's a corded drill for $15.00. 3/8", variable speed, reversible. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber670
At that price, if it ever quits you just toss it and buy another.
I wouldn't even bother if it's not a dewalt or a porter cable.

Steve Barker LT wrote:

Hmmm, Same here. I love my P & C Tiger Saw. Gives my arms good exercise, LOL!
On Sep 22, 10:52 am, snipped-for-privacy@ucdavis.edu wrote:

re: "occasional weekend use"
What will these "occasional" uses be?
Many here have suggested a corded model which might make sense if your occasional use won't be on a ladder 2 stories up. In other words, think about what you will be using the drill for and picture that use with an extension cord in the mix.
Oh yeah - If you go corded, make sure your drill budget includes the cost of a decent gauge exterior-use extension cord that either includes or can reach a GFCI outlet if you plan to use the drill outdoors.
My drills? A 20+ YO corded Skil 599 Xtra-Tool Hammer drill and a Dewalt DC759 18V drill. The *only* time I use the Skil is if I need a hammer drill which lately has only been a few times a year. I use the Dewalt for everything from removing outlets to mixing paint. On occasion I'll even drill a hole with it. ;-)
BTW - I also bought the Dewalt circular saw and flashlight - tools only - for use with the 18V batteries.

First, identify your needs: Will you be drilling soft woods? Hard steel? Concrete? Drilling 1/8" or 5/8" holes? Will you be running in hundreds of 2" drywall screws? Lots of self tappers?
If you could rate your intended use on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst heaviest use, where would you estimate it?
You have asked an unanswerable question. If you want to cover all bases, buy a high dollar 18v. DeWalt, and never look back. It will do whatever you want to do every day you want to do it. But for all the extra $$$ you might be spending, you could get a lighter drill, a nice pack of bits, a nice assortment of accessories, etc, and still have some bucks left over.
Your quandary seems to be you don't know what you NEED, and that is the worst position. If you buy a light one, and burn it up, you might as well pile your money in an ash tray and set it afire. You'll be back at the store in a few months buying a heavy one, and getting nothing for the old one. Take the time now to nail down what you NEED, then it's a simple matter of shopping price. (as in sales, closeouts, etc.)
If you're going to use this for a long time, think long term, and buy a good one. You won't be throwing away money and buying another in a year or two.
HTH
Steve
For occasional use, you're wasting money with a battery drill. Get one that plugs in to 110 volt.
Harbor Freight has some super cheap drills for occasional use. Wait until you catch a sale; nearly everything at HF goes on sale eventually.
--
.
Christopher A. Young