help me to choose a drill on a budget

Hi, I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? Old B&D tools were OK.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, Same here. I love my P & C Tiger Saw. Gives my arms good exercise, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

First, identify your needs: Will you be drilling soft woods? Hard steel? Concrete? Drilling 1/8" or 5/8" holes? Will you be running in hundreds of

2" drywall screws? Lots of self tappers?

If you could rate your intended use on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst heaviest use, where would you estimate it?

You have asked an unanswerable question. If you want to cover all bases, buy a high dollar 18v. DeWalt, and never look back. It will do whatever you want to do every day you want to do it. But for all the extra $$$ you might be spending, you could get a lighter drill, a nice pack of bits, a nice assortment of accessories, etc, and still have some bucks left over.

Your quandary seems to be you don't know what you NEED, and that is the worst position. If you buy a light one, and burn it up, you might as well pile your money in an ash tray and set it afire. You'll be back at the store in a few months buying a heavy one, and getting nothing for the old one. Take the time now to nail down what you NEED, then it's a simple matter of shopping price. (as in sales, closeouts, etc.)

If you're going to use this for a long time, think long term, and buy a good one. You won't be throwing away money and buying another in a year or two.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I had a Skil 1/2" that just about twisted my arm off more than a couple of times. Don't know if the new ones are like that old one, but I sure was watchful when I got that puppy out of its cage.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Black & Decker owns: Black & Decker DeWalt Porter-Cable Delta Machinery Kwikset (home locks) Baldwin (home door locks, lighting, hardware) Weiser Lock ( home door locks) Price Pfister (faucets) Emhart Teknologies (fasteners)

Reply to
willshak

on 9/23/2007 12:09 AM SteveB said the following:

I have an old 1/2" Craftsman that will do the same.

Reply to
willshak

Used to be, about 30+ years ago. B & D went from making good quality professional tools to cheap consumer grade to imported junk.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

For occasional use, you're wasting money with a battery drill. Get one that plugs in to 110 volt.

Harbor Freight has some super cheap drills for occasional use. Wait until you catch a sale; nearly everything at HF goes on sale eventually.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a numerous Ryobi tools and I like them, they're not made for a professionals use or for someone who wants to build their own house. But for the occasional weekend user they are very good. The $75 for reconditioned is outrageous the new one with charger is only $79. Plus if you want to add other tools Ryobi has a huge selection of cordless tools, again for the occasional weekend user.

Reply to
asmurff

After reading most of these replies I'll add my other 2 cents worth. If you are only going to own one drill a cordless has more versatility than a corded...

Reply to
asmurff

True and the only drills I have today are cordless. Problem is, for someone that rarely uses a drill, the batteries won't last very long and will be dead when you need them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I suppose they own pepsi and coke also. ??

can you provide some documention to this alleged ownership?

Steve Barker LT

NO, it is NOT. NOT NOT NOT.

Wait a minute.

Am I saying yes or no?

MNSHO is that Black and Decker is an average tool for the minimal user, and is basically a throw away.

YM (and opinion) M (and probably does) V

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

on 9/23/2007 2:47 PM Steve Barker LT said the following:

I aim to please.

on 'Our Companies' in the bar.

Reply to
willshak

-- I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa?

They do. But why does that matter in terms of what the B&D salesperson told my wife?

Ford sells Neons and Ford sells F-350's. If my wife was looking at a Neon for me and told the salesman I'm used to driving F-350's, I'd hope (and expect) that the salesman would steer her away from the Neon. I might actually go back to a saleman that understood my needs and didn't try to sell me (or the wife) something just to make the sale.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ford does not sell Neon. Dodge 'used' to sell Neon. The Neon was replaced by the Dodge Caliber.

Reply to
willshak

I bet the Dodge dealers are pissed off about that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think you're trying to combine needs here.

If you want a powerful, long lasting drill, get a corded drill. A $10 3/8 drill from Ebay or Craigslist might last your lifetime with intermittent use.

For a light, handy cordless get a 7-10 volt. I've been using a Ryobi

7.2 volt for 15[?] years to drive screws & do a little light drilling. I think it cost $10 at a garage sale. I bought a [$40] NiMH battery for it several years ago & now it has twice the power it ever had and seems to go forever without needing a charge.

I have a 1/2 inch drill. I might use it twice a year to drive landscape screws. On those occasions it is indispensable. Other than that, the 3/8 corded is the workhorse--- I can't even say what brand it is- it's purple.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I was going to get a corded drill but all the big names did not had a driver torque setting (not to kill screws with high torque at the end, have no idea if I am calling it right). As for the cordless - they have RIGID 18v R840011 Drill kit on sale for $99. It comes with lifetime warrantieis on everything including batteries after registration. Is it a decent model for in home use? The warrnaty sounds too good to be true - anyone had experince with it?

Reply to
oleg