Help me ID this ceiling fan

Hi, I have a ceiling fan that was installed by the previous-to-the- previous owners and I need to identify it by make and model. Three of the four bulbs in the upper lighting fixture are blown and I cannot get them out. There are little trap-door like panels below each bulb, but they are too big to fit through the openings. I tried taking off the entire upper fixture but even with the blades removed, the lower light sconces get in the way and I cannot open it enough to get the bulbs out. Also, whoever mounted this fan did a lousy job and it sways (no, it's not out of balance - just mounted on a single axis that allows it to swing). So if anyone can tell me the make and model, I would be really appreciative. Thanks.

dewey

If this helps, I just installed a Hunter fan. Instructions were:

  1. Install mounting plate to ceiling electrical box.
  2. Attach fan base to mounting plate.
  3. Attach fan blades.
  4. Attach light assembly.

You may have to take your fan apart opposite the way I installed mine.

Once the light assembly and blades are removed, the upper cover should come off completely, I'd guess.

Reply to
franz frippl

franz frippl wrote in news:MxAHi.50727$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

I think you're right. The problem is that I cannot see how to remove the lower light assembly. It is attached by an axle that goes into the upper assembly. My guess is that it probably unscrews but I don't want to force it and break it.

Reply to
theBZA

There seems to be a pull cord in the center of the light assembly. There most likely is a knurled nut which can be unscrewed. The brass cover should slip off and expose what's underneath.

Once exposed, you should be able to figure out rest.

Reply to
franz frippl

The "lower light assembly" is usually held in by three small screws driven in the side. One you take out the screws you have to disconnect the wires for the lamps. On "newer" fans, there is a connector or two. In older fans, the connection uses wire nuts. I would advise the OP to try again to replace the bulbs via the "access ports."

I have two ceiling fans with the "night lights" in the "base." In my case, I believe the "access" panels are large enough that I will be able to replace the bulbs. It would take over an hour to remove the blades and disconnect the "lower light assembly" and put things back together again. It would be almost as much as a PITA was replacing the fan altogether.

The relatively cheap fans from Wally World are pretty good: quiet, nice designs, etc. If there is ANYTHING about the old fan he doesn't like (aside from the bulb changing being a PITA) he might want to replace the whole damn thing.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I don't know how id'ing the fan will help get the bulbs out. First, it is common for bulbs to get stuck as the threads on these cheap light fixtures are not good. Second, the previous home owner put regular bulbs in, and if he had put the smaller decrotive ones, the glass "scones" ?? would be able to slide over them.

To change the bulbs - put a bag over each light and break the bulb. Then remove the glass cover "scone" (never heard it called that). Get your pliers and twist out the base of the bulb. I've done this many times. Even the small bulbs can get stuck so much that you have to break the bulb.

OH - turn power off at the breaker, less the wife comes in and flips the switch on you.

Reply to
borne

"John Gilmer" wrote in news:VYudnQ3Jq9OlAnLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@nni.com:

I appreciate the advice. There is unfortunately no way I can fit the bulbs out the access panels. I've tried - I would have to break them. Of course, there are bulbs that would fit - just whoever installed the lamp didn't use them.

Oh, I realize there might be some confusion. I am the OP. I originally posted using my old google (originally deja) account. I've been replying using Xnews. Sorry.

Reply to
theBZA