Help me get a lawn

I will admit to reading not all of the replies.

You CAN NOT use crab grass control and seed within 6 months.

Your best option at this point in time is to control crab grass and kill weeds.

Seed in the early fall and next year with a little luck you will have a nice lawn.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Negligence? How coyuld crab grass take over the yard? If I were you I'd rip out the whole yard and start from scratch. Till, use good top soil seed or sod with some slow acting feretilizer. Water well and baby it until grass took over. Overseeding will not give healthy lawn. You need lots of manual laobor to do it right.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It varies - gotta read the label.

And leave bare soil? Pointless!

Reply to
norminn

Not true. There are pre-emergent products that you can use with new seeding, Tupersan being one.

That I 100% agree with.

Reply to
trader4

A good scolding :o) It isn't difficult to realize how crabgrass takes over a whole lawn - the nasty stuff can have very tough runners 20' long or longer. Ripping out a whole lawn isn't the best advice, without knowing whether there is decent topsoil, a sprinkler, etc. The OP didn't offer enough info to really get a good formula for dealing with the "crabgrass". If he wants a low maintenance lawn, then overseeding and treating weeds gradually may be just the ticket. Photos would help. Also to deal with before spending a lot of money on solutions is to consider, first, whether the lot is properly graded and drained - can be big problems and horribly wasteful to deal with after putting in a lawn.

Reply to
norminn

wrote

Correct and I think the critical part many missed, is he's not looking for 'fantasmagorically' perfect, just an average lawn. Assuming he has topsoil, I'd over seed with a weed-n-feed crabgrass killer for now. Bound to look better than what he has this year and he can do the proper stuff in fall to make it more perfect.

Reply to
cshenk

There may be products like that but not available here. I wait 4 or more months after pre-emergent application to overseed. Works for me.

Reply to
Phisherman