Help me figure the cost to charge a Chevy Volt in my town?

Page 2 of 2

== And I'll keep my cheapo Dodge Grand Caravan before I'll blow big dollars for that limited range "experimental" Volt. It might have a place but it sure won't be up here in Canada. Its too damned cold for practical use unless they put in one humongous battery and make it a one person car. ==
On 11/13/2010 6:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

A few notes from GM... No argument with your figures.
http://gm-volt.com/2007/08/29/latest-chevy-volt-battery-pack-and-generator-details-and-clarifications /

Note that the engine will kick in before it gets at 30%. Under normal conditions the battery will never need more than 80% charge, or 12.8kWHr + conversion losses

Chevy claims about 200WHr/mile. That would be about .03 + charging losses of about 10%, I think. About $0.033.
What real life actually is, is unknown. They claim about 50mpg running on the internal engine, so an effective mpg of almost 100mpg at $3/gas seems withing striking range.
Jeff
RickH wrote:

What difference could the cost possibly make; it's for the children.
Plus the smug factor.

lot,or electric-only spaces,most likely the latter. also,who pays for the charge?
Vandals could also unplug your car on you while you're at work.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Steve Kraus wrote:

A plug in hybrid from what I understand. I guess GM was fudging on this issue a bit. The engine will directly drive the wheels at times.
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:46:16 -0800 (PST), RickH

This is all very simple. My wife buys all my clothes. If she didn't, I'd go buy them. If she buys me something I don't like, I don't wear it. Now she knows what I won't wear. So she buys what I like. It all works out. My "look" is Salvation Army work clothes. That makes it real easy for her. Only clothing I bought myself in decades is coveralls. A man's got to know his coveralls.
--Vic
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:33:01 -0800 (PST), RickH

As stated previously pure electric costs are $.066 per mile.
From a cost standpoint the equivalent MPG of this $.066 per mile is.....45.5 MPG