Help me come up with some ideas for updating a weird gas fireplace

What this fireplace kinda looks like is a three sided fireplace with one side sealed up with bricks.
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/fireplace1.JPG
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/fireplace2.JPG
I'd kinda like to put up mesh and a scratch coat over the entire exterior and then tile, but those angle irons and support columns might present a problem.
Could I encase the columns with cement board to square them off and then tile?
Thanks, Craig
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4916 (20100304) __________
http://www.eset.com

Can't access the pics

Oops - now I got them - You have a real mess there. How about tearing out the bricks and starting over? Or, maybe covering the bricks with some type of tilee?