Help me buy a circular saw

Page 1 of 3

I'm so tired of electric circular saws wearing out! I need to buy one that will last. The biggest problem I have had over the years is not power, or failed motor, but the inability of the saw to go in a straight line. The blade wants to wander on its own, even if I build a jig and use a straight board as a guide. I attribute this to worn bearings, yes? Am I right in assuming that sealed roller bearings will be far superior to brass non-rollers? I'd like to buy a saw and never have to buy another for a long long time. Any hints, suggestions? Thanks.
46erjoe wrote:

Hmmm, What saws did you have? Look at the commercial grade. Some has even laser beam to help cut straight. Cheap ones doesn't even have bearings. Some are gear driven. I am a lefty but cutting straight is not a big deal. All my tools are DeWalt or Porter & Cable. Good enough for home use.
:46erjoe wrote: :> I'm so tired of electric circular saws wearing out! I need to buy one :> that will last. The biggest problem I have had over the years is not :> power, or failed motor, but the inability of the saw to go in a :> straight line. The blade wants to wander on its own, even if I build a :> jig and use a straight board as a guide. I attribute this to worn :> bearings, yes? Am I right in assuming that sealed roller bearings will :> be far superior to brass non-rollers? I'd like to buy a saw and never :> have to buy another for a long long time. Any hints, suggestions? :> Thanks. :Hmmm, :What saws did you have? Look at the commercial grade. Some has even :laser beam to help cut straight. Cheap ones doesn't even have bearings. :Some are gear driven. I am a lefty but cutting straight is not a big :deal. All my tools are DeWalt or Porter & Cable. :Good enough for home use.
When I researched I wound up buying a Porter Cable Saw Boss. It's small, light and well built and people said it's up to 90% of the stuff you do with a circle saw and is easier to use than the 7 1/4 inch saws. It's the only one I've ever had. Maybe I just don't know any better, but I'm happy so far. I think you are using your circle saws a whole lot more than I do, though.
Skill 77 you can't stop it they don't wear out. heavy-yes expensive -yes but you never have to buy another one once you get use to the blade being in front of your hand more it's much easier to cut. If you are having a problem cutting try a strait edge. It is pretty hard to cut a table saw cut free hand.

Sacramento Dave wrote:

Hmmm, I thought Skill is second tier brand. Never owned anything Skill.

Skill makes a lot of junk tools but you won't get a better saw than a Skill 77.

Skil, you guys. Not Skill.

Gee, thanks. I have been Googling and I went to seven stores today, and no one had a Skill. Had you not posted this valuable correction, I would have not known.
Thanks.
Steve

I was only addressing the two who misspelled it, but if it benefits you, that's good too.

It was of tremendous help for me. Without your help, I would have just wandered around aimlessly, never finding a good Skil saw. Every group needs a netnanny. Keep up the good work.
Steve
| >> | >>>I'm so tired of electric circular saws wearing out! I need to buy one | >>>that will last. The biggest problem I have had over the years is not | >>>power, or failed motor, but the inability of the saw to go in a | >>>straight line. The blade wants to wander on its own, even if I build a | >>>jig and use a straight board as a guide. I attribute this to worn | >>>bearings, yes? Am I right in assuming that sealed roller bearings will | >>>be far superior to brass non-rollers? I'd like to buy a saw and never | >>>have to buy another for a long long time. Any hints, suggestions? | >>>Thanks. | >> | >> | >> | > Hmmm, | > I thought Skill is second tier brand. Never owned anything Skill. | | Skill makes a lot of junk tools but you won't get a better saw than a Skill | 77. |
they (skill) are ALL junk tools directed to home owners who use it monthly. Makita is by far the best circular saw ever made.
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 06:57:13 -0500, "kitchens etc."
:they (skill) are ALL junk tools :directed to home owners who use it monthly.
Someone told me many years ago and I never forgot it: "I'd rather have a Skil than a Black & Decker."
Sacramento Dave wrote:

Hi, Vintage Skill yes, today's Skill? I am not that sure.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Agree with both posts... an old Skil worm drive saw will last forever, but do they even make them anymore? All the ones I see in store are direct drive with cheap looking plastic housings. and I actually would buy a worm drive today if I saw one in the store.
nate

I have both the old worm drive and new Skill 77 and its the same - heavy duty and almost indestructible.
All the ones I see in store are

They have the Skill 77Mag in Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon.com and elsewhere.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)68725142/ref=sr_1_21/002-6685451-2725669?ie=UTF8&s=hi
I have this lightweight magnesium version but its still heavy, almost as much as the old one.

Skil 77. I am still using the one my dad bought 30 years ago. My son will probably be using it after I am gone.
# Fred # wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)68725142/ref=sr_1_21/002-6685451-2725669?ie=UTF8&s=hi
They don't have them in any of the Home Despots or Lowe's around me, just the cheap plasticky looking ones. I guess people around here must not care about durable tools?
I guess I'm not surprised, I'll have to just find a better store. Seems to be very common that I get frustrated because I refuse to buy cheap, disposable, consumer-grade stuff yet that's all the stores are filled with. Don't people realize that if you buy a *good* tool that will last 50 years the extra cost pays for itself not only in money but in time?
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
| They don't have them in any of the Home Despots or Lowe's around me, | just the cheap plasticky looking ones. I guess people around here must | not care about durable tools?
it sounds like everyone in AHR dosn't care about durable tools. Dewalt, Skil, B&D, these are all toys for home owners to play with. what next Buy "Rigid" durable tools? another joke! besides everyone knows you never buy/get "quality" tools at H.D. or Lowes. plastic parts and made in china for a U.S. company.......figures!
| | I guess I'm not surprised, I'll have to just find a better store.
now you're talking. buy from a real tool center for quality tools
Seems | to be very common that I get frustrated because I refuse to buy cheap, | disposable, consumer-grade stuff yet that's all the stores are filled | with. Don't people realize that if you buy a *good* tool that will last | 50 years the extra cost pays for itself not only in money but in time? | | nate | | -- | replace "fly" with "com" to reply. | http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

There are different ways of looking at that issue. My dad did construction all his life and at one time he bought "good tools", the kind that last forever. But with heavy use they still need maintenance, the cords get cut, worn, etc. About halfway thru his long career he determined it was more efficient and cost effective to just buy a new "good enough" saw at the start of a job and throw it out when it wasn't "good enough" anymore and get another one. He also had other people who used his tools from time to time and that was a factor also. Most people don't treat other peoples tools as good as their own.

Right! I just happened on to a Craftsman commercial worm drive at an estate sale. It was priced so low I had to take it with me (it looked new, $25). Best move I ever made. I would hate to have to work with it at arms length all day but it's un-beatable for trimming doors and etc.. RM~