Help me buy a circular saw

I'm so tired of electric circular saws wearing out! I need to buy one that will last. The biggest problem I have had over the years is not power, or failed motor, but the inability of the saw to go in a straight line. The blade wants to wander on its own, even if I build a jig and use a straight board as a guide. I attribute this to worn bearings, yes? Am I right in assuming that sealed roller bearings will be far superior to brass non-rollers? I'd like to buy a saw and never have to buy another for a long long time. Any hints, suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
46erjoe

Hmmm, What saws did you have? Look at the commercial grade. Some has even laser beam to help cut straight. Cheap ones doesn't even have bearings. Some are gear driven. I am a lefty but cutting straight is not a big deal. All my tools are DeWalt or Porter & Cable. Good enough for home use.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Skill 77 you can't stop it they don't wear out. heavy-yes expensive -yes but you never have to buy another one once you get use to the blade being in front of your hand more it's much easier to cut. If you are having a problem cutting try a strait edge. It is pretty hard to cut a table saw cut free hand.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

I'm w/ Tony...what in the world have you bought previously and how much do you use it and for what?

Have several, all of which are by now at least 10 years old, the one I use most often as it is the handiest for the occasional use is Dad's old B&D that is now 50+ and never had anything other than a cord replacement. Others include my first which is an unknown manufacturer sold by JC Penney (wife worked there so got employee discount plus on sale meant could afford it as married undergrad) that got in mid-60s and still also works well although somewhat on the "clunky" side. For when get serious, old Skil Mag 77 is the choice altho it's now pushing

  1. Granted, don't use them every day, but get pretty heavy use when do use them. Unless in the trades doing framing or similar, can't see wearing most any decent quality one out.

Are you sure it's not a case of dull blade or loss of set in teeth or something similar? Can you move the blade on it's shaft indicating wear?

P-C, Makita, Skil, Milwaukee, others all make stuff that should last a homeowner-type user their lifetime and more...

Reply to
dpb

Need some more info......

current saw? previous saws? duty cycle? homeowner, handyman, framer?

I've had very good luck with my old Milwaukee worm drive......VERY heavy, so if you're not into heavy saws get a lighter one.

My friends like the Skil 77, one has the Mag version

My experience has been a bad blade on a good saw....cuts wander off straight

A good, sharp blade is the most important thing

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Hmmm, I thought Skill is second tier brand. Never owned anything Skill.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Vintage Skill yes, today's Skill? I am not that sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not fo;llowing a line is more an issue with dull blades or cheap ones that go wiggly, upgrade your blade first. Try tenryu, hitachi, skarpaz, freud etc

46erjoe wrote:
Reply to
bamboo

Hmmm, I'd rather have cheap saw with GOOD blade than good saw with cheap blade, LOL! When good blade is on, you already feel the difference. It gives effortless cutting. I spend few more and always buy good blade. Cuts better, lasts longer. And worth reusing after sharpening.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Agree with both posts... an old Skil worm drive saw will last forever, but do they even make them anymore? All the ones I see in store are direct drive with cheap looking plastic housings. and I actually would buy a worm drive today if I saw one in the store.

nate

Reply to
N8N

All saws will eventually wear out, but you can expect a good one to last 10 years and beyond. The larger saws have more power but these can be clumsy to handle. Ergonomics, price, sight lines, adjustments, guards, weight, bevel range, and price must be considered. For about $125 you can get the Milwaukee 6390, perhaps the top-quality 7.25" circular saw. It has an excellent line-of-sight. Porter Cable and Bosch make good circular saws too. If you can try before you buy, all the better. Cutting concrete or metal is abusive and will greatly shorten the life of your saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

No. I attribute that to dull blades, misalignment of the motor (and hence the blade) with the shoe, and/or operator error.

Porter-Cable or Milwaukee.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Skill makes a lot of junk tools but you won't get a better saw than a Skill

77.
Reply to
# Fred #

I have both the old worm drive and new Skill 77 and its the same - heavy duty and almost indestructible.

All the ones I see in store are

They have the Skill 77Mag in Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon.com and elsewhere.

I have this lightweight magnesium version but its still heavy, almost as much as the old one.

Reply to
# Fred #

Inability to follow a line or straight edge:

Operator error Dull blade Operator error Shoe out of line with blade Operator error Poor quality blade Operator error Overheated dull blade Operator error Maybe, on a really bad day, a worn bearing, but more likely: Operator error

Any name brand, commercial grade saw will deliver more power and accuracy than you or I can manage.

I use Milwaukee / Black&Decker Saw Cat / Porter Cable, right cut / Skil worm drive / Black &Decker worm drive. These saws are all over 10 years old used in a commercial everyday environment. There is a reason for each. None has ever had a problem following or delivering a line with one major exception:

Operator error.

I don't personally like Bosch - just don't, except for the jig saw. The old commercial Black & Decker stuff became DeWalt. All of my battery stuff is DeWalt 18volt and I have a DeWalt Miter saw only because my Black & Decker was stolen. I also have one of the original 9" Rockwell power miters, though we just don't use it anymore. I had evolved to Black & Decker commercial or Milwaukee ONLY (many of these tools are over 30 years old in daily commercial use). Makita made an outstanding drywall gun ( I still have two of the originals). Hilti makes great stuff. Buy once, buy quality, treat accordingly. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local)

(national)

Reply to
DanG

Skil, you guys. Not Skill.

Reply to
mm

Gee, thanks. I have been Googling and I went to seven stores today, and no one had a Skill. Had you not posted this valuable correction, I would have not known.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The other thing to look for is a cast shoe. Stamped shoes tend to go out-of-alignmemt. I like the design of the Porter Cable saws and they come in both right and left hand models.

Reply to
krw

Consider getting a left blade model if you are right handed. Porter-cable makes a nice one.

It's much easier to see the cut line because the motor is on the opposite side of the saw compared to a "typical" circular saw.

46erjoe wrote:
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Skil 77. I am still using the one my dad bought 30 years ago. My son will probably be using it after I am gone.

Reply to
Eric9822