Help, mathematically challenged

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 13:40:38 -0700, Jon Danniken

Google is getting pretty slick. The URL is pretty long so just try googling 3024 cubic inches in gallons
On 3/31/2013 11:18 AM, RBM wrote:

28/13 -> ~2 18/12 -> 1.5 16/18 -> ~0.9
~2*1.5*~0.9 --> ~3-minus
12*<3 ~= 35

On 3/31/2013 12:18 PM, RBM wrote:

Thanks to everyone. I wish I wasn't so mathematically challenged, but I sure am glad all you guys are out there.
Roy
Take the dimensions in inches, multiply them. Whatever the big number you get, divide by 231 (the number of cubic inches in a gallon).
I did that, got 34.9 gal. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I'm trying to figure out how many gallons a tank will hold. I've tried googling with no help. The tank is 28" x 18" x 16" and it's supposed to hold 35 gallons. It just seems too small to me. In comparison I have a tank that measures 13" x 12" x 18" and I'm sure it only holds around 12 gallons. Any help is appreciated.
tia, Roy
On 3/31/13 7:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That means my 1969 Plymouth had a 1.66 gallon engine. (383 cid)
I know modern engines produce a lot more horsepower for their displacement and last longer. The sound of the old V8s with glass pack mufflers is hard to beat.
On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 20:13:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman

I have a 2.0 Turbo with 273 HP. Fast car, but it sounds like the family sedan. Cars are just not what the used to be in that respect.
On 3/31/2013 8:13 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Had '69 Charger 383 w/ 4BBL Holley that iirc was 335 hp. *Dxxx* I wish I had kept that puppy even when couldn't have gotten the kids and all the stuff in it when small...but definitely couldn't afford two vehicles back then. :(
The 426 hemi's were rated at 425 hp.
Warning-codger story coming... :)
Brother married daughter of local Dodge salesman -- this was when NASCAR still made manufacturers sell 500 of the production model they ran on the track. Dealers were mostly shipped on a random draw 'cuz they were difficult to sell because weren't at all good on the highway and local dealer was lucky that year ('68). Two years later still hadn't sold it so made brother a "real deal" on it when got out of uni. It was a disaster as a highway car--so hyped up you could barely keep it running at an idle; would be doing 50/60 by got to next stoplight w/o even trying, and got about 5-8 mpg of high test. If you recall, the gas filler cap was on the top of left fender; on the highway production vehicles like my '69 it was a 2" pipe that ran vertically down to the left end of the tank only taking up a little trunk room. On the NASCAR version, it was a 4" pipe at a 45-deg angle straight to the middle of the tank leaving no room for anything of any size; not even a spare tire. They didn't keep it... :)
On 3/31/2013 8:36 PM, dpb wrote:

When I was in college I remember seeing the remains of a Dodge Charger Daytona, the one with the wing. It looked so sad and lonely there in the wrecking yard. Some kid had flipped it on the interstate highway at a speed in excess of 150mph. I loved the big engine brutes which got no gas mileage to brag about but gasoline was 22 cents a gallon so I didn't mind. Our family cars at the time had engine sizes like 383, 389, 425 and 430. Mom wound up with a Lincoln with a 460 V8. ^_^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger_Daytona
TDD

Yeah, we thought nothing of it then...the 4dr got when sold the Charger was a Buick Electra 225 w/ the 455 iirc...
The Charger actually was pretty good on mileage--we bought it to spec and put in a gear ratio to bring rpm down some at highway speed--took away a little of the acceleration performance, of course, but it was still plenty enough. For the time it was a great Interstate road car--not squishy soft suspension but still reasonably quiet. At the time we were in Lynchburg and traveling to far SW KS regularly where both sets of grandparents were--about 1550 mi trip before I81 was finished from Roanoke to Knoxville and I40 ended at Crab Orchard Mtn w of Knoxville across the Cumberlands and then dumped you in downtown Nashville. Another uncompleted stretch thru AR hill country from just west of Little Rock to nearly Ft Smith...
The bummer was the lead plugs that sealed machine holes in the Holley split-barrel carb would get soft after two long days on road and in the morning when cold they leaked. Had to reseat them w/ a small hammer the second morning before heading out again... :)
It also developed some nasty electrical problems w/ time...