help identifying old tool

Page 1 of 2
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemb11383642&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Any help?
Offset chisel, obviously. Tom

OBVIOUSLY!
What's that?
Any info on the name stamped on it, or approximate age?
Steve
You could try posting this on rec.woodworking, as someone there may have an idea about the chisel. Googling "C. B. Curtis" didn't seem to come up with any leads, but there's a few folks over there with knowledge of the arcane. Tom
SteveB wrote:

That's a cranked neck chisel made by Peck, Stowe & Wilcox (the P of P.S.&W. was probably missed by the seller or it was too lightly struck at the factory - it happens). Here's a link to one seller producing current cranked neck chisels. http://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/wwchisel.html and this is a link to a brief history of PS&W: http://www.sydnassloot.com/Brace/PSW.htm PS&W also produced equipment for the metal working trades under the PEXTO name. Their shears, punches, etc. are much sought after.
I don't know if that is an original handle and the ferrule looks like a replacement - they just don't look right. If I had to take a stab at a date, I'd guess sometime around the 40's or 50's. Might even be later, but it's hard to tell. I think PS&W stopped producing tools in the 60's
I collect antique tools. I was hoping you'd stump me!
RicodJour wrote:

Yer such a spoiled little shit.

And most likley found with a search engine if the lazy assed OP would've bothered.

If I did that, what would we need newsgroups for?
Maybe just for your flaming and abuse?
Steve

A special thank you to the Net newsgroup netnanny Nazi. Once again, you have made a total idiot of yourself. Keep up the good work.
Steve

What? Since EBAY forbids him from spamming the newsgroups with his, add, he had to find SOME way to make you go look at it. What's a better way than asking you what it is?
--Goedjn
Goedjn wrote:

Tell me it aint so?!

Thanks a lot. I had to wade through a couple of anklebiters here in the newsgroup, and it is really nice to have someone post a civil lucid answer. This is something that everyone can learn a little bit from.
Except for the anklebiters who will continue to rant and flame. Guess they don't do anything in the way of building or repairing anything, just kvetching about everything. And they already know everything, anyway.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Make that a 'pussified, whining' spoiled little shit.
You must get your ass kicked a lot by those that know you just on general principal.
Now quit humping legs under the table and go fetch the little red ball bitch.

I don't care what you call yourself.

Not in the last forty years.

Middle school track break, huh?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

While we're all feeling at liberty to share...
I see you've modified the listing and included the links I posted. You probably should have expended a _little_ effort. Those weren't the best links by any means, they were just quick searches that I included in my post to illustrate. "Helping to define lazy since..." when did you say you were born? ;)
You omitted the term "cranked neck" and added corner chisel. Ding. Do an eBay search for a corner chisel - it's an entirely different animal. A corner chisel is also called a bruzz, and what you have isn't one. The term "cranked chisel, crank chisel, cranked neck" would be the best eBay search to find what you have. You're limiting your potential bidder viewership by having it mislabeled. If you wanted to indicate one of its uses, you could mention in the listing that it's used to clean up interior corners.
No credit given in the listing. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I looked through pages of Google looking at antique chisel, the name, S&W, all sorts of things. I DID spend some time on it. I just couldn't find anything.
I appreciate your help.
I misquoted the proper term for the chisel, but will go now and correct it. I had a traumatic brain injury one year and two days ago, and I don't remember things as well as I used to.
My research and reading skills are also diminished. So, I just try to do my best.
Steve
Is it a wood-turning tool (for use with a lathe) rather than a chisel?
Perce
On 09/22/05 12:38 pm SteveB tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemb11383642&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Definitely not for turning.
djb
--
Life. Nature\'s way of keeping meat fresh. -- Dr. Who

SteveB wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemb11383642&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Looks like it's a corner chisel, used for squaring the corners of mortises, like this:
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php?cPath9_172_233&products_id `4&osCsid'97c023ff7dd373e03ee599dd168d7a
Ken
Ken wrote:

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/product_info.php?cPath9_172_233&products_id `4&osCsid'97c023ff7dd373e03ee599dd168d7a
Well, it's hard to tell from the picture. At first it looked like a corner chisel to me, but now that I look at it again, I don't think it is.
Ken

Be nice if the picture didn't have that dumb-asss camera overlay right over the top of the cutting edge.