help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over!

this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is there any way to shore this beast? much obliged, -cold in colorado

Some things are easy DIY. Others need a pro to assess the situation. I'd certainly want a pro to take a look before doing more damage than exists already. Try to get the guy that designed the bell tower in Pisa.

This is probably not a do-it-yourself job. Time to call in the pros.
--
Regards,

I agree with everyone else, I'm fearless and the thoughts of hurting that 1800's house scares me. I'd call a Pro and ask their assessment.
Brian

Two things....
1. Photos? (wondering if the mortar is completely gone, and you have brick on brick)
2. Seek the help of a structural engineer. No reason the play around with your home.
hth,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

Let's make it unanimous -- don't try this at home yourself.
If you're in one of the old mining towns, you might be able to get some assistance from a historical preservation society. At least they'd have some thoughts about similar restoration projects.