help! i need to jack a brick house before it falls over!

this is a two-story brick victorian built in the 1800s. far as we can tell, there have been no gutters on it to divert the rainwater away from the foundation for quite a while, and the foundation is settling badly. the brick above grade is now caving in towards the basement. is there any way to shore this beast? much obliged,

-cold in colorado

Reply to
ruca

Some things are easy DIY. Others need a pro to assess the situation. I'd certainly want a pro to take a look before doing more damage than exists already. Try to get the guy that designed the bell tower in Pisa.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is probably not a do-it-yourself job. Time to call in the pros.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I agree with everyone else, I'm fearless and the thoughts of hurting that

1800's house scares me. I'd call a Pro and ask their assessment.

Brian

Reply to
diablo

Two things....

  1. Photos? (wondering if the mortar is completely gone, and you have brick on brick)

  1. Seek the help of a structural engineer. No reason the play around with your home.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

Let's make it unanimous -- don't try this at home yourself.

If you're in one of the old mining towns, you might be able to get some assistance from a historical preservation society. At least they'd have some thoughts about similar restoration projects.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene