Help! I accidentally turned off the gas!

Yesterday I was going to try to fix a leaky faucet and while outside trying to find and turn off the water line, I accidentally turned off the main gas line.

Within a few minutes I realized I had turned the gas off so I turned it back on. Today I noticed 2 of my 3 gas appliances aren't working. The water heater and the wall heater are off, but the gas stove is working. My question is should I immediately turn off the water heater and the wall heater? I don't smell gas in the house at all, but shouldn't I be smelling gas if the gas is turned on and the water heater and the wall heater are still in the on position???

Reply to
Pamela G.

If these are relatively modern appliances, the pilot gas won't flow unless the pilot is lit, or whatever type of igniter is used, is activated

Reply to
RBM

turn them individually to off wait 30 minutes, then relight pilots, assuming they have pilots??

your range most likely is pilotless, thus requiring no relighting

Reply to
hallerb

Instructions for re-lighting their pilots should be on the devices. Follow the instructions closely. Or bring in somebody who knows how.

Reply to
CJT

Once, someone told me it takes 4 people. The first one holds the match. The second holds the button down. The third holds a flashlight. The fourth complains about the pilot not staying lit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

For heaven's sake, CALL YOUR GAS COMPANY!!! They WANT to be called on situations like this.

In CA we are told, in event of earthquake, to turn off the gas immediately at the house inlet, and NOT to turn it on ourselves after things settle down, but to call the Gas Co. Obvious why!

Reply to
aspasia

Thank you all so much!!! I was able to light the water heater without blowing up the house!

When it starts to get cold I'll just call the gas company to light the wall heater. It's about 40 years old and I can't find any directions on it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Pamela G.

If you can find the brand and model number of the heater and post the information here, maybe someone will know how to get it started.

Reply to
Mikey