Help...How much to paint ???

I'd love to get ballpark guesses at the cost to paint my house.

I believe my painter is waaaaaaay over-priced and the GC is unconcerned.

I'd love a guess for the inside and the outside so I can get an idea whether or not I'm being ripped off.

We are restoring an old house which was completely gutted. There are about

4000 sq feet of finished space. We will paint each room a different color and stain some of the trim and doors instead of painting.

We expect a high quality job.

The outside is easier. The old paint is in pretty good shape but it needs to be re-painted. The house is pretty easy to get at...it is a box-like old farm house with basic wood siding....two stories.

Thanks for the help,

Matilda Z

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

get some bids nobody can bid without seeing it

Reply to
mark Ransley

My GC got bids and hired a painter. Now, in mid-job, he is jacking up his costs 50% despite minimal changes. We are livid and the GC is not helping.

He knows we will have a hard time getting someone new on short notice....but we are working on it.

I just want some knowledgeable folks on this board to take a stab at it the cost...

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

"Matilda Zuckerman" wrote

notice....but

Painters are usually very easy going types. I can imagine but... what happened just before he raised the price? And, what do you know about house type painting?

Reply to
Gary Slusser

I hate to see people get jerked around by the neck.

If you hired a real contractor, then you have a real contract. A real contract cannot be altered unilaterally. There needs to be a "change order" that describes what additional work, changes, or variations from the original contract will be done, and what they will cost. They must be agreed upon by both parties. They can be initiated or refused by either party. If both sides agree, then the change order has to be signed by both parties, and constitutes a new and separate contract.

I would consult with your GC to see if he is really a licensed contractor. If he is and can provide you with a copy of his license, then you will have power to negotiate change orders with him. Or he can just finish the work he promised to do at the price he quoted. Or he can take his tools and quit. You and only you have the power to authorize additional work at a higher price.

In any case, if he is a licensed contractor, you will have recourse with your state's contractor board for mediation and arbitration from them to settle it. For someone to jack you up after a contract is made is illegal in many states. Even car shops in most states have to notify a person if the repairs will exceed the estimate, and get approval from the owner.

If he is not a contractor, you might just ask him what he wants to do. You are secretly in power, but don't tip your hand. If you are behind him in money (as in you have paid him for work not done), he may have you in a corner temporarily. If you are ahead of him in money (as in he has done more work than you have paid him for), you have leverage. If he is not a contractor, and you can arrive at a compromise, good. the work gets done, he gets paid, everyone's happy. In any event, DO NOT pay in advance for ANY work, but only as it gets done. If you pay for supplies, they stay at your place. If you cannot arrive at a compromise, mention to him that you would like to have your state's Contractor Board mediate and arbitrate it so that a fair resolution is the result. He may change his attitude right then. Most unlicensed contractors do. Go figger

Bottom line is ........... you don't take advantage of him, and you do not let him take advantage of you. You made an agreement, and both sides should honor it. And if both sides don't honor it, you go to the authorities. If you didn't pay him, he would haul you to small claims court. If you are not satisfied, the contractor's board is the agency to contact for you to get resolution.

In my state, contracting without a license may be punished with a fine of $10,000, and only OFFERING to do specific work for a specific price legally constitutes contracting. Hourly work is different because the owner has the right and ability to end the work at any time. It is always best when dealing with contractors to ask to see a copy of their license, and request that the STATE INDUSTRIAL INSURANCE SYSTEM mail YOU a certificate direct that this person or company has coverage that is in force. DO NOT accept one from them. CYA because if one of them falls off a ladder, you will be seriously liable.

HTH. Some of this may not apply in your state. YMMV also.

Steve, an ex-steel erection contractor in Nevada

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Maybe a hundred questions ,and 100 pictures would be an intelligent start. You have given 0 details on the house But if you cant understand it would take someone probably 4 hrs to bid it Being at your house , I sugest you have some coffee to wake up, than I suggest you call some people for bids, Nobody can give you an honest answer, without alot of details and effort, and even then it would be a half assed bid

Reply to
mark Ransley

Matilda:

A reputable contractor will say, "I will paint your house with XYZ paint, do two coats, and paint the trim for $XXXX."

Cost plus 15% is what? Cost of the paint? Cost of the sub? Cost of the paint and sub and clean up and markup and a new ladder and dropcloths and brushes and on and on and on?

Just as you want a price for something we cannot see, your contract of 15% plus costs is an ethereal thing.

I will say that I will paint your house unseen for $138,000. If I come and look at it, and can actually see what is involved, the price MIGHT go down, but just a little. You will pay me 1/3 when I have painted the outside, 1/3 when I have painted the inside and 1/3 when the job is done. I can start work tomorrow.

There is no way to give you an accurate price or even a guess.

I think the problem is not with your contractor.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

You've got to be kidding!

Seems a little high.

I'll do it for $137,500

If I come and

Reply to
Joe Froedy

Not true, read original post.

That's all I'm asking for...a wild guess....the more the better.

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

Forget it.

All I asked for was a guess at the cost to paint the house.

If you won't give one or take a stab at it, then at least be polite about it.

You folks are even more full of shit than my bait and switch painter and my lazy GC.

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

$6,128,355.94 and you buy the paint.

It is a wild guess, and it is more than your current bid. I can start in the morning.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

You could have at least offered a prize for the best guess. Like the "how many beans in the jar" guesstimate. You probably would have gotten some replies.

STeve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Matilda how can you be so stupid, everyone tried to help except you, NOT enough INFO on the house, get it....

Reply to
mark Ransley

Nevermind....end of thread.

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

Why do you even post ? You provide no info and you aren't funny.

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

at least you got a response from mark ransley! :-)

Reply to
linda

Thanks Linda...

That's what I've been looking for !

Reply to
Matilda Zuckerman

My parents got a bid to pain interior of their 2000 sqrt feet house; $2000 for two coat, 1 color, no trim.

Reply to
Karen