HELP! How catch dust in vaccuum when drilling wall?

Page 3 of 4

We are prototyping a version that is good for much larger holes (50mm+) at the request of an industrial client we have, so making a version that is good for sinking a backbox into a wall isnt that far fetched, as the same basic principle applies.
Cheers
Chris
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:17:05 +0000 (UTC), "Chris Styles"

On 04 Mar 2006, Lobster wrote:

I find that the brick dust travels far and wide and has a nasty abrasive and drying characteristic. Also, as you say, it stains. far better to catch it at source.
The poster you reply to must have a much higher tolerance for mess and marks in the house than I do. Either that or he does not mind taking a long time cleaning up.
me too some people make more work being clean than the entire job involves:(
When the AC guy put in spacepack and drilled 4" holes he had a rubber ball cut in half on the chuck or bit, it worked.

I've also used trimmed down paper cups, and 2 liter coke bottles.. especially when drilling into ceilings..
Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
David Peters wrote:

Buy a decent vacuum cleaner. Never mind this 'bagless' cobblers, buy a Henry and you could drill holes all day without blocking the filter or bag.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Double sided sticky tape and an envelope
--
geoff

Isn't this why they invented shop vacs?
David Peters wrote:

Myself I use either an envelope (or a bit of paper folded up into one) and some insulating tape...
However, you may prefer:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=TL00880&NA1

If you were doing loads of it then you could perhaps build yourself a small prefilter cyclone.
--
Cheers,

John.

Or just go down to the thrift store or a garage sale, and buy a 5-buck shop vac, where the only 'filter' is the washable foam cylinder around the motor, attached by a rubber band. Mine comes in very handy for stuff like that. Anyone who does DIY home repairs (hell, anyone who owns a home), should own a shop vac.
aem sends...

Or grab a Dyson from the tip and use the cyclone from that?

Trying to get anything from the tip around these parts is treated like attempted bank robbery. I reckon the local Chamber of Commerce are developing a bunker mentality. Watch out for the Sucking Squad.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

[...]

Chris Styles wrote:

<snip spam which I'd have forgiven you for as it was on topic but fir the fact that you posted it 17 times>

...or alternatively, visit www.oldenvelope-and-a-bit-of-masking-tape.com
David

Sorry about the multiple posting... I've been having some Outlook Express problems... it want intentional I can assure you.

That method is fine, just not very effective. People will continue to use matchsticks instead of spending a few pennies on anchors and claim that they work just as well, and this is the same.
However, if you or someone in your house have allergies, or if you are going to be doing a lot of drilling, or if you are drilling where the substrate might be harmful, then you might want to do the job properly, and that's where DustBubbles come in....
Cheers,
Chris
Chris Styles wrote:

To be fair, I think we are dealing with two different problems here:
At the simplest level of just catching the heavy dirty dust generated when drilling brick or blockwork, then the envelope will deal with most of the *visible* dust that would otherwise fall on your carpet, and hence can in many cases be declared adequate.
However when you start trying to catch *all* of the dust produced, including the very fine particulate dust that is emitted into the *air* from the drilling site (and later settles out all over the place), then you are into a whole new ball game. Even with vacuum collection some of this sub micron stuff will be sucked straight through any filters and returned to the air again. In these cases, containing the dust at the production site is going to be more effective. This is obviously important where the fine dust can not be tolerated either due to its harmful nature, or its ability to contaminate.
--
Cheers,

John.