HELP! How catch dust in vaccuum when drilling wall?

Actually the truth of the matter is that I was sinking an electrical socket into a wall using an SDS chisel/drill, so the envelope trick (and I suspect, even the wonderful DustBubble) would not really have cut the mustard there!

David

Reply to
Lobster

To be fair, I think we are dealing with two different problems here:

At the simplest level of just catching the heavy dirty dust generated when drilling brick or blockwork, then the envelope will deal with most of the *visible* dust that would otherwise fall on your carpet, and hence can in many cases be declared adequate.

However when you start trying to catch *all* of the dust produced, including the very fine particulate dust that is emitted into the *air* from the drilling site (and later settles out all over the place), then you are into a whole new ball game. Even with vacuum collection some of this sub micron stuff will be sucked straight through any filters and returned to the air again. In these cases, containing the dust at the production site is going to be more effective. This is obviously important where the fine dust can not be tolerated either due to its harmful nature, or its ability to contaminate.

Reply to
John Rumm

That is in a slightly different league!

Using a bin bag as in place of the envelope can help here, tape it round the hole and hanging under it like a hammock (as best you can, and still get at it with the drill). You can catch all the stuff that falls out, but the airborne dust is almost impossible to catch in these cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Owain

I suppose that's /just/ about worth claiming the free sample offered and ebaying it, if one marks up the postage a bit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Perhaps that suggests an inventing opportunity for an SDS-compatible SuperDustBubble.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Chris,

I've tried quite a few and I'm afraid they really don't work very well, considering the high cost. That is, they sort of work, a bit, most of the time. Far better to get someone to hold a vac nozzle just under the drilling site or - if working alone - to use one of the envelope/bag methods suggested earlier in this thread.

Reply to
rrh

Why, are you so clueless ?

Reply to
raden

In message , Chris Styles writes

So how do you explain what, 17 posts ?

2 I can understand

Works just fine for me, and I have them around when I want them

I bought a dozen dust bubbles for a quid once - I'm buggered if I can remember what happened to them

Reply to
raden

Tommy Walsh if I'm not mistaken?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Um, no, unless that link lost a digit or two. The unit I referenced is basically a bucket that goes in line between your shop vac and it's nozzle. The air and dust is brought through water in the bucket so most of the dust gets trapped in the water instead of clogging the shop vac filter.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have been called much worse in my time :-)

Then again, a 100ml paint sampler is ~£1 and the 5 litre pot is £12, so in terms of cost/volume it is no different from any other product.

If you take the 500 trade tube, they are about 4.5p each because we can sell them direct, but going through the chain stores means N00% mark-up which unfortunately we can not dictate.

The other thing to consider is the convenience that you can drill to put fittings up and a freshly decorated room without getting red brick dust stains on your new carpet (as someone here posted they had). In that case, the cost of the new carpet that might get stained makes £1.99 of DustBubbles seem insignificant. Other applications were hear a lot about is putting up shelves near sensitive equipment. £1.99 a small price to pay to not have to move it all, so often it comes down to convenience.... Also, you don't need someone to hold the dustpan/vacuum, so it is saves on having to have a helper around...

Event he most staunch sceptics often soften when they use them, so go ahead, give me your address and I'll send you some.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

We are prototyping a version that is good for much larger holes (50mm+) at the request of an industrial client we have, so making a version that is good for sinking a backbox into a wall isnt that far fetched, as the same basic principle applies.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

Each time I tried to post, OE told me there had been an error.

After 5 (more than desired, but less than 17) attempts I gave up and decided to use google groups instead, at which point I noticed that posted had started to appear.

As well as replying to the groups, I was also CC'ing an email address and as OE isnt my mail client (I only use it for NGs) the SMTP part isnt properly configured, so the error was relating to the CCd email address, but the NG part of the post had succeeded (though it didnt appear in "sent items" as the email bit had failed.

Maybe you used them all, they are very good afterall ...

Immediately after moving (when I needed to do a few jobs) I could find my stash, and ended up buying some form my local B&Q - that was an odd feeling :-)

Reply to
Chris Styles

The link you posted contained a session id, which is a pretty sure sign that it won't work for anyone who visits the site atfer your session has expired. You need to post the keywords so we can do a new search.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Heh!

Maybe because I do not see myself as an expert DIYer who knows everything.

I think I saw the suggestion as clever than it really was. If it really is as over-simple as it perhaps seems then it's obviously not going to work for me as I find masonsry dust spreads. Catch it falling into an envelope? It's not made of large granules, you know.

Imagine drilling a hole above the skirting board for a phone socket with this approach. How is this envelope trick going to work in such a smal space? Please explain.

Reply to
David Peters

John, I think you're one of the few people in this thread to appreciate that this ultra fine dust is exactly what I, as OP, am having problems with.

From all the suggestions I find that the best way (and it's not great) is where I use a small square of filter-bag material in between the hose and attachment of a domestic vaccuum cleaner.

All the dust gets drawn in including the fine stuff. The really and truly fine stuff passes thru the filter material (as a second square will show) but *hopefully* it gets trapped by the actual dust in the main vaccuum cleaner bag or by walls of the main bag.

What's left topass thru the bag and then thru the vaccuum's exhaust filter isn't worth worrying about. The main issue here may be how fast the main bag gets clogged to the point of being useless.

I guess a Dyson-style vaccuum centrifugal cleaner + HEPA filters would be better at trapping the dust. (Is this correct?) ANd I was asking in another group if an el-cheapo £30 Bush DD2227B bagless Cylinder Bagless from Tesco is any good as I could devote it to this task. See

"The Bush DD2227B Cylinder Bagless is a 1200W cyclonic cylinder cleaner. High level of filtration. 1.5 litre dust capacity."

Reply to
David Peters

As often seems to be the case when you have people arguing that black is white and vice versa, it usually means they are looking at the problem from different viewpoints (or one of them just likes arguing!)

HEPA filters certainly trap fine dust (probably better than anything else you are likely to find), but they are also expensive if you clog them too fast!

My experience with Dysons is that if you collect fine plaster dust with a DC01 Absolute for example then you can clog its filters quite quickly (in fact you may do better without any filters in it). You get least clogging if you can ensure that you maintain fast airflow through it (i.e. by not momentarily blanking off the suction pipe as you clean - something that is easy to do with a crevice tool etc). Something like the DC14 would be a better bet since has far more suction power and hence will maintain airflow speed better (it also has much bigger filter areas). Given the price however I would be reluctant to buy one of these just for this purpose!

Might be worth a try - you are probably not going to make anything better at the price!

You could build a pre filter for the task... various folks have posted details of building small cyclones in the past, including me[1]. Although my one was not really designed for ultra fine dust collection however, and talcum powder sized stuff will still go through it into the vac. You would need one with a proper conical section and lots of air speed to accelerate the finest particles out of the airflow.

[1]
John Rumm

But it's hardly rocket science, is it?

If someone points you in the right direction, work out the detail, or, can't you think for yourself ?

Well, it's worked for me, and I invented the technique along with thousands of others who saw a problem and an obvious solution

Reply to
raden

In message , Chris Styles writes

No, I've never actually used one

Wasn't it you who came here a few years ago wanting people to try them out ?

(... or is senility gently settling in ?)

Reply to
raden