HELP! How catch dust in vaccuum when drilling wall?

Page 2 of 4

Concur with all of above: just want to mention that the dust 'cascades' over the masking tape and down into the envelope. The 'few inches' of masking tape is to catch the dust as it exits the hole in a fan-shape .

A colostomy bag?
On 03 Mar 2006, nhurst wrote:

Ah, that's what I was thinking of when I mentioned I'd also seen "little plastic bag gadgets which you stick to the wall and drill into to catch the dust but these are too expensive".

The method that works for me is;- take an envelope and push - inwards- the two bottom corners so it bulges to a 'pocket'; use a piece of masking tape (low tack type is best) to affix the envelope just below the mark for the hole (and sufficeintly far down so the Bit doesn't catch the tape) - then drill to your heart's content. The envelope will catch 99.9(recurring)% of plaster and brick dust. Work the bit backwards and forwards to clear dust from the hole. With practise one can use the masking tape cum envelope for several holes. Discard - straight into the bin. The technique was demonstrated on one of the D-I-Y TV programmes.

Catch the debris _before_ it gets into the vacumn cleaner - envelopes are cheap!

Use the envelope

You're thinking too much :)
--

Brian

A small shop vacuum works. But easiest of all is just putting down some newspaper on the floor below where you are drilling the hole.
On 03 Mar 2006, wrote:

If you drill a hole for a picture which is 6 feet above ground level then the pulverised masonry dust seems to like to travel for a long way.
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:32:46 UTC, "Brian Sharrock"

Could probably adapt a large Post-It note - comes with the low tack adhesive!

Sadly not....
As part of our research for the Contamination Control DustBubble Kit we had quite a bit of particle data generated from different methods of drilling. The envelope method is remarkably ineffective. Even the CCDB kit is less than 99.9% effective, but it is still reduces the particle emissions to 100x lower than the allowed limit for asbestos.
Of course it might be that the envelope method is good enough and so be it. Some folk still use matchsticks rather than spend a few pennies on an anchor, and in the same way people will continue to use an envelope instead of an inexpensive product that does a far better job.
Personally I'm particularly proud of the DustBubble because they are cheap, take no time to use and work remarkably well. Starting this business has been a nightmare, but every time I do some drilling at home and use them it reminds me why I did...
Cheers,
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.dustbubble.com www.dustbubble.com
On 04 Mar 2006, Chris Styles wrote:

Ah so you are Mr DustBubble! :-)
In the UK DustBubble sells for about 2 for 12. http://www.aces.uk.com/18/DustBubble/DIYDustBubble /
This is about 16p (or approx 25 US cents) each. Not so economical really.
David Peters wrote:

I suppose that's /just/ about worth claiming the free sample offered and ebaying it, if one marks up the postage a bit.
Owain

I have been called much worse in my time :-)

Then again, a 100ml paint sampler is ~1 and the 5 litre pot is 12, so in terms of cost/volume it is no different from any other product.
If you take the 500 trade tube, they are about 4.5p each because we can sell them direct, but going through the chain stores means N00% mark-up which unfortunately we can not dictate.
The other thing to consider is the convenience that you can drill to put fittings up and a freshly decorated room without getting red brick dust stains on your new carpet (as someone here posted they had). In that case, the cost of the new carpet that might get stained makes 1.99 of DustBubbles seem insignificant. Other applications were hear a lot about is putting up shelves near sensitive equipment. 1.99 a small price to pay to not have to move it all, so often it comes down to convenience.... Also, you don't need someone to hold the dustpan/vacuum, so it is saves on having to have a helper around...
Event he most staunch sceptics often soften when they use them, so go ahead, give me your address and I'll send you some.
Cheers
Chris
Brian Sharrock wrote:

Tommy Walsh if I'm not mistaken?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I just hold the dustpan pressed against the wall.
--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Guy King wrote:

I just let it drop too the floor and hoover it up after jobs finished. Never heard so much crap in me life. Tsk!
--
Sir Benjamin Midllethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Managed to stain a new beige carpet with brick dust recently, when I didn't haven envelope handy. Didn't intend to drop it on the carpet, it bypassed the dustsheet. However, it left an obvious orangey tinge at the edge of the carpet, even after Henry had done his best. Dust wasn't ground in or anything.
David

I know you say envelopes are just as good, but if you;d had a 12 pack in your toolbox (1.99 at B&Q) they would have been to hand when you needed them. It wouldnt matter about dustsheets etc, because the red brick dust would have been captured as soon as it left the wall.
I suspect from your other post that you think DustBubbles are a waste of time, but really, compare the cost of DustBubble (they are about 4.5p each when bought in a trade pack) to your cost of your beige carpet that now has a stain...
Thanks,
Chris
Chris Styles wrote:

Actually the truth of the matter is that I was sinking an electrical socket into a wall using an SDS chisel/drill, so the envelope trick (and I suspect, even the wonderful DustBubble) would not really have cut the mustard there!
David
Lobster wrote:

That is in a slightly different league!
Using a bin bag as in place of the envelope can help here, tape it round the hole and hanging under it like a hammock (as best you can, and still get at it with the drill). You can catch all the stuff that falls out, but the airborne dust is almost impossible to catch in these cases.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 19:44:47 +0000, John Rumm

Clearly you need a short length of dryer-hose, a bread-bag, and a roll of tape.
Lobster wrote:

Perhaps that suggests an inventing opportunity for an SDS-compatible SuperDustBubble.
Owain