Help! Have odd plumbing size, need cleanout plug in Twin Cities

I had to hacksaw out my cleanout plug yesterday. Now I can't find a replacement.
The size is 1.75" inside diameter. Yes, you read that correctly.
Nobody carries a 1.75" ID cleanout plug. And a 1.5" rubber one won't fit (neither will a 2" - I purchased both).
Furthermore I can't find ANY info on the net about 1.75" threads. House was built in 1955.
Am I hallucinating?

I am assuming that you merely destroyed the plug portion of the cleanout. A part like one of the ones shown here: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/cleanoutplugs.html
I am betting you need a 2" cleanout plug. The actual thread to thread runs about 1/4" less than the "call size". Most likely a 2" PVC from the BORG will work just fine. You may not be able to buy just the plug at the BORG, you may have to buy the whole adapter.
--
Colbyt

Thanks for the advice. Can you check out this picture and see if your recommendation still applies?
http://picasaweb.google.com/bryanscholtes/MiataMisc#5445537945815808674

Thanks for the advice. Can you check out this picture and see if your recommendation still applies?
http://picasaweb.google.com/bryanscholtes/MiataMisc#5445537945815808674
Yes it does. The PVC plug should be less than $1 if you can buy it at Lowes or Home Cheapo.

What about the offset for the vertical pipe just above the "tee"? It looks like it is snapped or cut off.

Threaded pipe size traditionally refer to the bore of the pipe. However the bore dimension varies slightly because each pipe size comes in a variety of wall thicknesses. So a pipe of 1.75" ext,dia will be 1.5" bore.
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:49:01 -0800 (PST), harry

1.5" NPT is 1 13/16 across the lead thread and tapers a tad bit larger.
On Mar 6, 11:38am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

.
Why not use a compressible plug, it fits loosely in the opening and then you turn a handle to compress the plug so it spreads out sideways and fills the opening?
Bryan Scholtes wrote:

What material?
1-1/2" Sch 40 is roughly 1-5/8" ID; that could measure at roughly 1-3/4" if you measured the outside of the threads in the plug.
It's highly unlikely the house was plumbed w/ anything out of the ordinary unless this was something done by a DIY-er HVAC guy that used tubing instead of pipe or somesuch...

So I should go out and buy 1.5" and 2" PVC cleanout plugs, and see if they fit?

In my home I needed to get a lead plug to fit the cleanout. Royal PITA, since the sizing is terrible. Luckily the local Truevalue Hardware is only a 2.75 minute bicycle ride away. (Minding my carbon "foot"print) :)
--
Best regards
Han

*Pick up a 1 1/2" too.
http://www.jcmindustries.us/pipe_outside_diameter_guide.html
">I had to hacksaw out my cleanout plug yesterday. Now I can't find a

*It sounds like either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" trade size.

Hi Bryan,
Looking at your photo... I see it's a cast iron fitting... generally the size is cast right on the fitting when it is made... take a stiff wire brush to the outside and it will probably tell you what size it is... Jim

In 1955, 1 1/2" was a "normal" drain size before codes were changed and 2" became the norm. My best guess is that you have 1 1/2" fitting.
Was this plumbing arrangement for "back to back" or "side by side" sinks?
Get a 1 1/2" plug. If they a 1 1/2" tape or thread chaser, rent it so you can clean up the threads.
cheers Bob