Help.... fixing faux rock

I live in a house with cement rock as decoration on part of an outside wall and inside around a fireplace. Recently a patch of the 'rock' and mortar both outside and inside have falling off. I can see a metal mess below and cement/mortar.

How do I stick the big pieces back onto these fake rock walls? The areas to patch are small and I have the chunks that fell off.

Thanks so much.

Reply to
Justme

Add lime to the mix. Faux stones hold-up on ceilings this way.

Lime may add tack in the mortar.

Reply to
Oren

Boggle. Faux stone on a ceiling? Is any architect/building designer and/or local code inspector THAT stupid? Sculptured plaster/stucco, or fiberglass/plastic panels with actual mechanical attachements, maybe. But even in a mud bed over chicken wire, anything with any weight is going to fall at some point. Hell, they even require those epoxied-in steel pins on thin-layer stone veneer on commercial buildings, now.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Faux stones hang on a entry ceilings (16 feet high) foyers: around here in the desert.

16 foot ceilings and the stone stays in place.

Yes faux stone can be on a ceiling.

Reply to
Oren

Example:

What I mention is light man made stone looking. Almost as light as pumice. The name really does escape me right now.

It sticks with mortar ( add the lime for tack - similar to this type)

Oren

There is an epoxy cement available but I can't say if this is the proper application for it. Why not give a concrete specialty store a call. I bought some at one for a spalling sidewalk 10years ago and not one of those patches has come off. This piece of 'crete sees a truck and plow pushing over it each winter. Lots of blade marks but it's still intact.

Reply to
C & E

You have to collect a box of real rocks. Then throw them very hard on the faux rock, smashing it.

Reply to
StepfanKing