Help Filing Small Hole in Bathroom Wall

Just purchased a home and found that a very sloppy job was done when a towel hanger was installed in the main bathroom. A long thick screw is basically the only thing that is keeping the right side of the hanger in place and it easily comes off. The hole is the size of a quarter. I just want to patch it up and move the hanger a bit above or below the repair and do a better job of attaching it. How do I go about doing the patch job? Is it possible to inject/apply something in the hole and let it dry around this thrick screw? Thanks.
Dan P. ---------------
Remove 24 to reply.
Dan - I hate to assume - but is the wall sheetrock?
Jim

Here are my two thoughts. 1) MOVE the rack left or right, and change its LENGTH to allow you to screw the brackets into studs. You may be able to shorten the rack slightly, or perhaps you will need to purchase a new one and cut it to length. I would avoid at all costs just using the wall to support towel racks. 2) What you really asked was how to fill the holes. If they are as large as an inch, you might do some reinforcing with a nail or two stuck in to the side(s) of the hole to bridge the gap and give better support. Then use spackle several times, or if the wall is plaster you could use plaster. I am assuming that you would remove the screw from the wall.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:04:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Alan ) wrote:

just apply durabond around the hole? Would save me the trouble of moving the thing, reinstalling and repainting. Then again, if that will just eventually end up taking a bigger chunk of drywall out with use of the towel rack I guess it may be worth the trouble of moving it. ---------------
Remove 24 to reply.

I have used it that way successfully.
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:45:36 GMT, Two Brothers Enterprises

Ouch........sheetrock and drywall....ain't they the same. I don't pretend to be anywhere near an expert. The house is just two years old so maybe that helps.......I know its not plaster. It's about an inch thick. Thanks. ---------------
Remove 24 to reply.

Ignore the kids, Dan - they're out of school and bored. :-)
Follow what Phil said and you should be just fine.
Jim