Help: exterior junction box/light fixture mismatch

Hi all;
I'm replacing some exterior lighting in a ~20 yr old house. The existing junction boxes have only two threaded holes to accept screws to attach the new light fixtures; the holes are 2-3/4" apart and aligned horizontally.
BUT, all the light fixtures at The Borg have attachment plates with the screw holes 3-1/2" apart, and arranged diagonally.
I've searched for adaptors or crossovers at The Borg and other local hardware stores, there doesn't appear to be anything.
Am I missing something? Is there an easy fix? Any ideas?
As always, thanks a heap, -jbb
I'm not sure what type of box you have, as most wall fixture boxes have screws at a diagonal. Assuming that the boxes are octagonal and not 2x3 switch boxes,see if there is some kind of nut or fitting inside the box that can be loosened so the box can be turned. If not, you can buy several types of universal fixture bars from an electrical supply

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:39:59 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

came with various fixtures. It has a strap that fastens to the box and another you screw the fixture to. The center is a piviot and some are also tapped for 3/8-18 to use a nipple
I have encountered this situation several times and I just drill a new hole in the bracket so it matches the holes on the box.

Welcome to the wonderful world of electrical boxes. There are what is commonly called 3/0 and 4/0 boxes with the screw tabs mounted at a diagonal from each other. 2.75 inches sounds a lot like a 3/0 box. (pronounced 3 oh)
Find a lighting store and ask for some hanging brackets for the distance you need. There are brackets with a center pivot and various places to put screws and studs for the fixture. There are also round plates with a larger hole in the middle that when moved around the box will eventually line up to a place where you can put the screws into the box and still mount the fixture.
Patience grasshopper it can be done. Look very closely at the parts you have.