Help! Electrical problem

Page 2 of 2

It sounds more likely that during your checking, you tightened a neutral connection or disconnected the problem that was causing an unbalanced load (the red wire going to the garage door).

Yes, all the problems quit after I disconnected the the garage door opener. It doesn't work at all, I tried it on other outlets by running a long extension cord from other outlets in the house. I am planning on trying to see if the garage door company has any ideas or if it can be fixed.

replace the opener, new ones have valuable safety devices that detect anything blocking the door from closing properly.....
could save a kids life
On 4/30/2012 4:48 AM, bob haller wrote:

LMAO! yeah i always mount those pain in the ass eyes above the unit on the ceiling. They are such a pain. And it all boils down to lack of parental supervision.
--
Steve Barker

I suppose you don't like seat belts and air bags either?

btw , the electric eye safety systems make "punch & run" a lot more difficult and potentially more attractive to the 'dare devil' kid. Even at my age I occasionally 'punch & run' but now it has to be 'punch, run & hop'.
I'd be interested in the cost benefit numbers for GDO safety systems and estimates of deaths / injuries avoided.
I found the numbers at the last link below...... 20 years of data 1974 thru 1995, ~85 children killed or suffered permanent brain damage. Less than 5 per year.
Garage doors still injure a fair number despite the electric eye systems. Steve probably isn't too far off with his comment especially since a significant percentage of GDO's fail to reverse properly when encountering an obstruction.
Probably the best instruction to kids.....stay away from a moving door.
A foolproof GDO is nearly impossible to achieve........idiot resistant is probably the best that can be expected.
http://www.garagedoorchildsafety.com/injury_report.html http://www.coveryourgaragedoortracks.com/statistics.htm http://www.prlog.org/11649315-garage-door-injury-numbers-still-ugly.html
http://www.aaaremotes.com/gadosapryove.html
cheers Bob

no hopping needed, install a touch pad outside they are very convenient........
or a simple push button that can be reached from outside.
On 4/28/2012 10:17 PM, J wrote:

Your problem is definitely not the garage door operator . It may contribute to the problem showing up, but in itself, is not the problem.