Help drain water heater

I think I've had this problem before butt it's sitting in a drain pan, not elevated above the pant lips. What can I do to drains the water heaters? Use a hosed? Will I half to destroy my pants? Should the hot water heater have been constipated to begin with? If so, what could I use to unconstipate it?
Jimmy