help diagnose: dryer starts but cuts off

Hello:
If I can get help to diagnose this problem will be great and save me from calling in an appliance repair person at $120 an hour. It is a gas dryer that starts up but cuts off a minute later. What part/ setting should be checked out?
Thank you,
Julie
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

    Is the exhaust vent clear? If not it could be shutting down due to it getting too hot. Check the vent hose and exhaust port for lint etc.

I agree . As a simple first check , see that any lint filter is clean and the exhaust stack is clear.
On my old gas dryer there was a vent for the gas heater and an air exhaust for the dryer compartment.
There may be a sensor that says the burner is running. If that fails or is out of position the gas gets shut off because it believes it failed to ignite.
On Feb 20, 4:37 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The reference to the dryer vent is the pipe that is hidden in the wall and terminates either through the roof, or through a side wall. I have lots of customers that call me because of this very problem. If you cannot clean this yourself, call a chimney sweep who is certified in this area.
Alisa LeSueur Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com
CDET 14 wrote:

I have used a leaf blower to blast out the crud. Place into lint filter opening in dryer and blow. Easy and effective.
Lou
On Feb 20, 12:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Julie, the best suggestion I can give is DAGS on 'gas dryer troubleshoot'.
Lots of good sites out there to help you.
Be prepared with brand/model info, of course.
Go to RepairClinic.com super site and very helpful with information and parts I have ordered parts from them and have been very pleased Go to the manufactures web site and see if you can pull up a diagram to see the construction of your dryer I would suspect a blocked duct of bad heat sensor. Mice like them this time of year You can disconnect from dryer and run a garden hose with a small rag taped to it . if you have any elbows check them first

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Add my vote to the 'clean the exhaust vent' column.