Help desperately needed with double glazing

when it's windy the front double glazing windows on my house creak like mad...it's quite old glazing (I would say early '80's) and the frames are a bit loose, as in when you push on the frame from inside the house the frame actually moves a tiny bit......before I go insane from lack of sleep, can anyone tell me if this creaking is caused by the loose frames or does it sound like it could be the glass units, and if so is there any way that it can be remedied....someone did suggest to me to try and seal the frames (to the wall) with expanding foam......is this wise??

Reply to
boxunderthestairs

identify the noise source with a stethoscope or plastic tubing. if it's from the frames creaking in their tracks perhaps try dry silicone spray on the tracks.

Reply to
buffalobill

Secure the frame first, then use calking. Expanding foam can push against and distort a weak frame.

Reply to
Bob

Maybe you mean "double-hung" windows with typical slop in the tracks.

Mor-Tite works great for sealing, and stopping rattle, short of hurricane. (It's a strip sealant, like putty, that you can press into place and remove later.)

HTH, J

Reply to
barry