Help choose between two cheap compressor combos

Hi,

Thanks for all the responces to my previous post. There are two nice cheap combos that could let me get in the game very nicely. One is oilless Bostitch available at Lowes:

Alternatively, Sears this set of two nailers + stapler
which could be combined with this oil-lube compressor:
The Craftman combination will cost $50 less, but that's less important than quality and performance.

Any feedback would be greatly apprecieated!

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

We can presume you will be using this only for your own household jobs and nothing really heavy duty (as in building a garage or a house). + or - $50 is a minor consideration. Its unlikely either Lowes or SEARS will stock crappy tools. Go for the one that strikes your fancy, feels good to your grip, and the compressor easy to stow away. The $300 investment is a very good educational exercise that will allow you to make a more informed choice should you wish to invest in more pneumatic tools.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Lowes:

stapler

compressor:

I hardly ever recommend you buy at the big box. Best to buy from a vendor who also does repairs. Just my opinion. Bostich has a good reputation however, better than Sears.

I have had poor luck with products with the Sears label. Sears manufactures nothing. They just put their brand name on the product which is probably the lowest bid. The best online source for compressors is northern tool.

Lawrence

Lowes:

stapler

compressor:

You'd be far better off getting a kit from Amazon.com, in particular the Senco oil-less. Senco is one of the finest air nailers around, just check on any job site. The prices shown are well within your budget and you'll be getting the kind of tool you only have to buy once. The nice thing about the Amazon site is the owner reviews, pro and con, very helpful and if you search all the air compressors shown you'll see dozens of choices. FWIW, it's nice to own something you can brag about. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

pro> and con, very helpful and if you search all the air compressors shown>

you'll see dozens of choices. FWIW, it's nice to own something you can

Amazon has a great site that's for sure. I am one of their fans and have a long history with them. One thing that's wierd about Amazon is that there is no way to actually talk to a person either by phone or email.

Their site is so automated that they apparently see no reason to communicate with you directly. I had a problem when they sent me the same order twice. The mistake would have been obvious to an actual person but the Amazon megasite did not notice. I received both packages on the same day!

Yes, I was able to return the items at their expense but it was beyond difficult. It was almost impossible. They make it very difficult to navigate to a page that will help you. Then they give you a limited number of problems you might have and they limit the options as much as they can. It was obvious to me that it is a lot easier to buy something there than it is to return it. I don't remember how I got it fixed but I clearly remember that customer service is close to zero at Amazon.

They have the greatest selection in the world and they are all set up to sell you anything it seems but there is no way to actually talk to anyone if yu have a queston or problem. There only places to clik your mouse. That's just my rant on amazon. I'm still one of their customers.

That is why I like to reccomend suppliers who have toll free numbers, email support, and customer service. You don't get any of that from Amazon.com

Here are two suppliers that I like:

Lawrence

Hi, Regardless oilless is BAD choice! Won't last long, Noisy!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Lowes:

stapler

compressor:

Aaron, If long useful life is a consideration, the oiless compressor has a reputation among professionals as lasting only about a year. For the infrequent or occasional user the oiless is probably okay. I bought an oiless because it was light weight and when it seized up I brought it back to the industrial tool suplier where I bought it. He told me he would give me a partial credit against the purchase of a new one of my choice and he would use the tank as a repair part. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER