Help bfore the wife comes home! (What makes a kettle black?)

Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.

Here's a picture of the damaged pot

Scraping works - but it leaves marks.

What makes the shiny metal blacken? What solvent will get it off?

What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?

Reply to
Bill Keefer

No solvent will work. Most likely oxide layers like you get when you blue a firearm. I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.

Reply to
Frank

I would want to know what the pot material is.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sorry, but you are screwed. Only thing that works is abrasives and lots of scrubbing. You may want to try one of those green scrubbie things from 3M with a sponge on one side. If that does not work well, go right to the steel wool or SOS pads.

Green Works dish detergent work well too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid & 12% pool bleach so I'm trying both as we speak!

Bill Keefer

The only thing I would try is tarn-x , but not for brass.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Good luck but I would not be doing this indoors with all the fumes you're going to get.

Reply to
Frank

It is burnt on grease. Don't use acid. Bleach won't work. Fantastic and a 3M scrubber should do the job...is the kettle copper?

Reply to
Norminn

I'm actually thinking perhaps start with the finest wet/dry paper you can find (e.g. 800-1000 grit) then polish on a wheel with rubbing compound, then finish with Eagle One wadding polish.

An ex of mine had some nice stainless cookware, lost a tin of wadding polish to that... makes the cookware really shine :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The chlorine fumes weren't bad but the HCl fumes made me open all windows and move outside!

The acid seems to have cleaned up the white stuff on the inside - while the chlorine appears to be slowly dissolving whatever it is that's black and brown on the outside.

Bill Keefer

I'm going to guess stainless steel ... but get this.

The BOTTOM of the heavy bottomed pot seems to have spherical globules of what looks like lead which may have extruded as I overheated the pot.

In addition, during the bleaching and acid washing a gray gel like substance was bubbling out of the entire crack at the bottom of the pot where the heavy part is ...

Reply to
Bill Keefer

Actually I had used them BEFORE posting that picture!

The fact they did nothing was what prompted me to ask you guys.

I 'think' the heavy dose of chlorine is helping - although I got a drop in my left eye when I dunked the pot in a bucket and the bubbles from the spout shot up straight into my face.

Reply to
Arklin K.

I think it's stainless steel with a copper bottom with lead inside because the lead seems to have bubbled out!

Bill Keefer

The wife came home! I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!

Whew!

Reply to
Bill Keefer

You are so screwed, Bill. Does she have an emotional attatchment to that kettle? I suspect the "lead" is solder that was used to hold the heavy base to the lighter pot material. Own up to what you did and offer to buy her a new kettle.

Reply to
clare

If that's true, I wouldn't take a chance using this pot even if you get it cleaned. Can you just buy another pot similar to this one?

Reply to
Doug

The divorce papers will arrive on Monday! Be sure your pen is filled with ink.

Reply to
tangerine3

No divorce, but why Bill thinks I don't read ahr every night, I don't understand.

Mrs. Keeler

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote Re Re: Help bfore the wife comes home! (What makes a kettle black?):

If you are an American, don't "Own up". Blame it on someone else.

It's the culturally correct thing to do.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

Hmm. Now, to develop a cover story. "I was just cleaning it.... " This wonderful tip I read on the computer..... didnt' turn out quite right, dear?"

.

The wife came home!

I quickly pulled the pot out of the bucket of chlorine and placed it on the stove after looking like I was just cleaning it off.

She noticed it was different - but not that it was ruined!

Whew!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon