Help bfore the wife comes home! (What makes a kettle black?)

Page 1 of 2  
Oh oh I left the shiny pot on the gas stove and all the water boiled out.
Here's a picture of the damaged pot http://www.picupine.com/d3defbex
Scraping works - but it leaves marks.
What makes the shiny metal blacken? What solvent will get it off?
What 'is' this hard black stuff anyway?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/12/2012 6:05 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:

No solvent will work. Most likely oxide layers like you get when you blue a firearm. I read ammonia or oven cleaner may work.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:04:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

I don't have ammonia but I do have 30% pool acid & 12% pool bleach so I'm trying both as we speak!
http://www.picupine.com/e906acax
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The only thing I would try is tarn-x , but not for brass.
Greg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:

Good luck but I would not be doing this indoors with all the fumes you're going to get.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 19:56:17 -0400, Frank wrote:

The chlorine fumes weren't bad but the HCl fumes made me open all windows and move outside!
The acid seems to have cleaned up the white stuff on the inside - while the chlorine appears to be slowly dissolving whatever it is that's black and brown on the outside. http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 5/12/2012 7:26 PM, Bill Keefer wrote:

It is burnt on grease. Don't use acid. Bleach won't work. Fantastic and a 3M scrubber should do the job...is the kettle copper?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/12/2012 08:13 PM, Norminn wrote:

I'm actually thinking perhaps start with the finest wet/dry paper you can find (e.g. 800-1000 grit) then polish on a wheel with rubbing compound, then finish with Eagle One wadding polish.
An ex of mine had some nice stainless cookware, lost a tin of wadding polish to that... makes the cookware really shine :)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 20:13:00 -0400, Norminn wrote:

I think it's stainless steel with a copper bottom with lead inside because the lead seems to have bubbled out!
http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:38:19 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer

If that's true, I wouldn't take a chance using this pot even if you get it cleaned. Can you just buy another pot similar to this one?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Norminn wrote:

Oven Easy-Off (lye) would do it too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I would want to know what the pot material is.
Greg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:09:53 +0000, gregz wrote:

I'm going to guess stainless steel ... but get this.
The BOTTOM of the heavy bottomed pot seems to have spherical globules of what looks like lead which may have extruded as I overheated the pot. http://www.picupine.com/3ec4703x-1
In addition, during the bleaching and acid washing a gray gel like substance was bubbling out of the entire crack at the bottom of the pot where the heavy part is ...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:34:13 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer

You are so screwed, Bill. Does she have an emotional attatchment to that kettle? I suspect the "lead" is solder that was used to hold the heavy base to the lighter pot material. Own up to what you did and offer to buy her a new kettle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote Re Re: Help bfore the wife comes home! (What makes a kettle black?):

If you are an American, don't "Own up". Blame it on someone else.
It's the culturally correct thing to do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

s/American/Democratic/ and you have political reality in a nutshell.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 13 May 2012 06:00:25 -0500, Vinny From NYC

Could be but I thought it was the new "generation" thing to do. Either way, IMO nonsense.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 12 May 2012 21:32:44 -0400, clare wrote:

Luckily, I got away with it using the pool chlorine.
The kettle isn't as nice as it was, but it's not noticeably burned either. http://www.picupine.com/f2df5d5x
She noticed it - but she just yelled at me for trying to clean it.
I said I was trying to clean the scale out of the inside (which I did), so, she appreciated the attempt.
It was a wedding gift years ago and we could never find one like it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:34:13 +0000 (UTC), Bill Keefer

became severely ill from the lead.
Now drill a hole in the bottom, and use it for a planter. Women have this thing about turning EVERYTHING into planters, anyhow..... !!! (((Doncha just love those toilet planters in yards))) !!!
One final thought. Get your wife some new pot. I'd suggest some Columbian Gold!!! (Dont forget the papers and rolling machine).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/13/2012 01:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

there is nothing wrong with lead solder that never comes in contact with food... sheesh. Although I suspect that for cookware, it's actually silver solder not lead solder.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.