Help - Bathroom tile repair problem - tile size

Hello
Need help desperately. I'm half way through the job of repairing about a dozen bathroom shower wall tiles that cracked over the years. I've got the old ones off, after a lot of work, and I had in the basement what I though were extras, but when I held the new one in place, it's about an 1/8 inch too big.
Using a tape measure, the new white square ceramic wall tiles from the basement seems to be about 6 1/16 of an inch, while the ones on the wall seem to be 5 15/16 of an inch. There seems to be about an eighth of an inch between the two.
Now I know that ceramic tiles are 6 inches, but neither of these seem to be, and I don't even know what I should be looking for as a replacement. I can't even take a sample of the old tile to the tile store as they are broken into hundreds of pieces.
What's going on!
Thanks a bunch.
Harry
since you're dealing with white tile.......
find some that match the size of the old tiles
or
trim the big ones