Help AC guys..Have a Carrier Infinity question

Hello group. Hope some AC guys are listening in today. We are building a new house in Bastrop Texas and have had a multitude of problems with the builder which I won't go into here. One issue is, we paid for an upgraded HVAC system which consists of the VS8000 furnace and the 38TBD condensor. I have watched the installation like a hawk since so many other things were done poorly. First thing I noticed was the thermostat wiring was only a five wire stat wire. I quickly indicated to the builder that this would no fly with the Thermidistat. Shortly thereafter I was told here I should be looking at the Infinity Control. I then told the builder that is what I wanted and would pay the 300.00 difference he later quoted. He called his "hotshot AC house" and put me on the phone with them and they had never heard of this (oh great!) He then asked me why I thought the wiring was inadiquate and I explained I wanted the better functionality for the humidity control which is importent here and had paid for the thermidistat. He then told my builder that one of there guys was going to school for the Infinity. Well, the months went on and we are nearing final completion. I reminded the builder one more time to tell them I wanted the Infinity. I went over there and they have installed a thermidistat, on a five wire connection..Nothing connected to the second stages, nor nothing connected to the humidity control. The system works, but only runs on low speed fan and the manual fan control does not work. Is there a number I can call Carrier, since this is there expensive system do they have a rep who can check to see if the AC people were qualified to install it and/or might want to come and inspect the installation? I paid a lot of money for this and don't want to get screwed. Being this guy was chosen by my builder I have little recourse with him directly.. Thanks for taking the time to read and I really appriciate any help. John

Reply to
John

Geese im a HO , " home owner" but can`t you just call CARRIER, Its an 800 # . In your brochure or online !

So dont pay till it is right.

Infinitty ;;;;; must be verified, completely. Or do not pay, that simple. Remember now Im a HO, but Id check Hi - low, humidistat, Low run, offset, offset pass, High temp. And I KNOW NADA , But I am getting one soon.

You need independant verification !!!!

Reply to
m Ransley

"m Ransley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3136.bay.webtv.net...

Hello M. Ransley.. Yes I am a homeowner but do know a little bit about HVAC. My dad was the foreman of a large AC/mechanical shop in Las Vegas so grew up around it. I specifically instructed them as to what features I was after(multi speed and independant humidity control) when I told them I wanted this system. Plus, they installed the Thermidistat (very expensive) and did not even hook up the features the make it what it is. It is basically hooked up like a single stage, normal cheapie setback thermostat and does not even appear to work correctly. The AC comes on, the fan runs very slowly and doesn't ever ramp up.. I told them when they prewired the house that the wiring would not work, and they looked at me like deer in headlights. Not sure if it was because they were shocked I know as much as I do, or maybe they didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Now, I know they are licenced, but don't they have to be approved by Carrier to install this system?? The biggest red flag was when they had never heard of the Infinity Control. There are several 800 numbers on their page, and as for a "brochure" I don't have any documentation as of yet. As mentioned in another post we may end up in court with this builder for other issues, but for what he charged me to upgrade his standard builder quality 12 SEER system to this, I want to make damn sure it's right..Plus, I told them I would pay the upgrade to the Infinity Control, which should have been a "no brainer" for them. The system had the adequate "four wire lead" for this, plus by using the furnace, AC and control takes away most of the brain work on setting it up. Just the fact that they installed the Thermidistat and wired it like they did really concerns me. That is why I would like to call someone at Carrier, at the proper channels, tell them my story, and tell them who installed it and see if they want to have a look..Another thing that I am not sure as to why this happens, but the system has a large media filter upstairs in the plenum. when the system is running on low (the only speed it has right now) you hear a howling sound from the largest of three intakes. I got up on a ladder and the grill itself was making the sound and when I opened it the sound went away. Closed it back again and it started and I could feel the grill vibrating. The vent is huge and is one of three which of the other two are smaller in bedrooms. My original post was hoping some of the competant AC guys might be able to direct me to where I should go next. I know a lot of the AC guys from alt.hvac are always talking about "cleaning up after a hack" so hopefully might be of assistance. Being I did not hire this company directly and am having such problems with my builder it seems the best way for me is to go thru Carrier...

Thanks so much for listening... John

Reply to
John

Not that I know that much about what go's on at the Carrier plant near me, but this is their site:

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill