Hello to group and a few questions

Weight, primarily...how thick is this proposed piece?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Maintaining context is good...

iirc, granite is ~160 lb/ft3 so you're talking about 250 lb. Is the subfloor strength and rigidity up to that much weight? (that's the proverbial "big if") you have a solid subfloor and it's level (and you can muscle it into place) you should be able to get by...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hi all,

New to this group, longtime Usenet junkie. I'm doing a few home improvement projects on a house we just bought and wondered if maybe I could hang out for a while and run some ideas by y'all. I currently have a powder room that has a hand-done parquet floor (really nice floor done by Randy Yost, in Houston, circa 1975). There is a separate closet for commode and shower, where the floor has been destroyed by a slow steady leak in the toilet. I'm thinking of redoing that part of the floor with a single piece of black granite. It would only be about 3*6, and need just a single cutout for the toilet drain. I don't intend to let the new toilet just sit there and leak, but I'm just wondering if there are any issues with using a Granite floor for a wettish area, and in a single piece?

Thanks for any advice.

~Bill

Reply to
coffee__remove_this__

I was thinking about 1". Could I get away without a concrete board underlay if its a single piece?

Reply to
coffee__remove_this__

i'd really consider granite tiles. the only difference will be a few grout lines. you'll save on cost, and weight, and ease of installation, and if you ever happen to chip or crack it you'll be glad it's a replaceable tile rather than have to haul that whole slab up. Buy a few extra tiles and keep them around and safe.

A bathroom floor isn't like a kitchen countertop. It will experience significant dynamic loading over it's lifetime. I don't know how well a granite slab will hold up to that. Especially if the subfloor has any significant flexion to it.

maybe the experts can tell you differently.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Why is the toilet leaking and where? I don't see a problem as long as the floor is sturdy and flat. Make sure you use a higher than usually wax ring to seal the toilet to the toilet flange since you are raising the toilet off the flange by whatever the thickness or the granite. You will also need to notch out for the hold down screws on the flange. I see no need for cement board as long as there are no high and low areas.

Rich

Reply to
Evodawg

Thanks for all the responses. To Evodawg's question about the leak, it was leaking at the shutoff valve. The toilet was old and nasty, and we're replacing it anyhow, so there should be no more leaks. The surface is pretty stable since its just a two-by-four subfloor over the slab, which is in good condition. The plywood floor is rotten from the leak, however, so I may just replace it with 1/2 backer board. BTW, what is the protocol for pictures on this board? Is there an a.b board that most people use, or just post a link to pictures on my own website?

~Bill

Reply to
coffee__remove_this__