Height of water and electric connections for washer and dryer?

Imagine what happens when a hose breaks, the washer leaks (bad seal), wet clothes drip, etc. I'm not sure storing anything UNDER a washer is a good choice.

The store-bought pedestals don't appear to be good for much. E.g., our detergent bottles are too tall to fit inside them. And, would require you to bend and lift gallon jugs each time you wanted to do wash.

We prefer to use the space atop the washer dryer (to fold clothes, sort through items going in/out, etc.).

But, have cabinets there so with the W/D "up", we lose that space.

As the W/D really only need to be "up" for loading/unloading, I'm looking into installing scissor lifts under each appliance so they can be raised and lowered, as needed. HF has some lifts that might be easily repurposed.

[This also addresses my "accessibility" concerns as someone aged with scoliosis or powerchair-bound would want the appliances at a different height. It also deals with the inevitable "we need to get the washer dryer *down* so we can service it"]
Reply to
Don Y

It's *empty* laundry baskets we're thinking of storing there: bring them upstairs to load and unload.

A wheelchair-bound person won't be using this washer and dryer, because they're in the basement.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Understood. I'm just offering the general comment -- storage space tends to get used to store things. People seldom think down the road as to what can happen to that space (and the things in it)!

The pedestals are ~250/each so you're paying for another appliance... just to get "two drawers". Two *containers* -- that can just as easily "contain" water that drips into them!

In practice, the only use for the bases seems to be to elevate the appliances. We've talked with various folks about how they use their bases and they are largely just "junk collectors". They're not easily accessible so you don't want to put things in them that you will need, often (sort of like the broiler drawer under a stove).

For example, we keep our detergent, bleach, softener, etc. in a cabinet at about chest height. So, relatively easy to reach and dispense without havint to heft a large container up/down with each use (we reuse the large containers with the "push-button dispensers" and small, plastic "Dixie cups" for the dispensed solutions).

Yes. But that's not a universal truth. Here, for example, there are *no* basements! And, we've no idea what *our* futures hold in terms of mobility constraints, general "flexibility" issues, etc.

Reply to
Don Y

The code for electrical dont matter where an outlet is placed as long as it's wired properly. I really dont think it matters for plumbing either, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I have never seen any washer water connections so low that thye would be covered by an 18" pedestal, but they would still be hard to reach. Usually they are 3 to 4 ft. from the floor.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Not true. There are requirements for where outlets have to be, what the minimum distance between them is, etc. Kitchen counters being just one example.

I really dont think it matters for plumbing either,

I'd be surprised if there are not requirements in the current code for many plumbing fixtures, probably including the washer plumbing.

Reply to
trader_4