Height of water and electric connections for washer and dryer?

Page 2 of 2
On 4/1/2016 11:06 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Understood. I'm just offering the general comment -- storage space tends to get used to store things. People seldom think down the road as to what can happen to that space (and the things in it)!
The pedestals are ~250/each so you're paying for another appliance... just to get "two drawers". Two *containers* -- that can just as easily "contain" water that drips into them!
In practice, the only use for the bases seems to be to elevate the appliances. We've talked with various folks about how they use their bases and they are largely just "junk collectors". They're not easily accessible so you don't want to put things in them that you will need, often (sort of like the broiler drawer under a stove).
For example, we keep our detergent, bleach, softener, etc. in a cabinet at about chest height. So, relatively easy to reach and dispense without havint to heft a large container up/down with each use (we reuse the large containers with the "push-button dispensers" and small, plastic "Dixie cups" for the dispensed solutions).

Yes. But that's not a universal truth. Here, for example, there are *no* basements! And, we've no idea what *our* futures hold in terms of mobility constraints, general "flexibility" issues, etc.

Personally I like accessibility. It is a PITA to have to reach over a machine to get down behind it to shut off the water or pull a plug even though it may not be that often.
On 3/31/2016 2:04 PM, John G wrote:

+1
Wife home alone when a hose breaks or something in the washer "gives up the ghost". How many gallons of water spew onto the floor while she tries to figure out how to shut the water off? Ditto dishwasher.
I noticed water seeping from under neighbor's garage door, one day. "Knock, knock -- There's water flowing out of your garage!" Broken hose to washing machine.
Another neighbor knocked on *our* door, one day. *Her* machine was leaking and she couldn't reach the shutoff (she's a wee bit of a thing).
We lost a flex line to the toilet late one night. Thankfully, the sound of gushing water woke me in time to keep the leak from progressing beyond the bathroom floor!
"Extra heavy duty, armored" water supply lines to washing machine ruptured three days after their purchase. The jet of water was strong enough to gouge the drywall behind the washing machine in the few minutes it took for us to notice that this was happening (we were doing laundry at the time). I wouldn't have been happy if I had to manhandle the washer away from the wall just to access the stop, at the time!
Neighbor lost his water heater. Without stops on inlet and outlet, he was without *all* water until a plumber could come out and replace it (installing stops in the process).
Cheap form of insurance. Silly not to avail yourself of it!
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:45:36 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

The code for electrical dont matter where an outlet is placed as long as it's wired properly. I really dont think it matters for plumbing either, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I have never seen any washer water connections so low that thye would be covered by an 18" pedestal, but they would still be hard to reach. Usually they are 3 to 4 ft. from the floor.
On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 4:43:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Not true. There are requirements for where outlets have to be, what the minimum distance between them is, etc. Kitchen counters being just one example.
I really dont think it matters for plumbing either,

I'd be surprised if there are not requirements in the current code for many plumbing fixtures, probably including the washer plumbing.