heck i might as well add a new kitchen sink while im at it..

with all these recent drain repairs...i thought ....why not add a new sink to the stupid thing while im at it.

My question is...how do i know how deep of sink i can go. Id like to get a bit deeper one but once you connect all the drain stuff and the p trap wont it be too low to connect to the horizontal drain pipe that comes out of the wall?

Are there any rules here? IM looking at a white 22x32 lipped sink so i dont have to put the seal around it and she is labeled as 9 inches deep. I think my current one is 7...maybe 8...im not sure how they measure these things.

any thoughts?

Reply to
scale

.....why not add a new

can go. Id like to

drain stuff and the p

horizontal drain pipe that

22x32 lipped sink so i

labeled as 9 inches

not sure how they

Watch out. I bought a sink that fit in the same size hole but was deeper and bigger.I love the sink. A whole roasting pan fits in it sideways. It's nice stainless steel and cleans easy. Just now the drawer next to it rubs the side of the sink and won't go in straight. Oh well. It is a great sink.

Reply to
Kathy

enjoy the deepest sink you can afford with the tallest aerator fixture to clear big pots and pans. the top of the drain pipe must be lower in altitude than the bottom of the sink drain basket and lower than the dishwasher drain connection. and garbage disposal. if you need more trap room you may be inclined to want to S trap thru the floor to the basement if access to the wall is a problem, but the vent to the roof off that wall line is important. the pipe in the wall is probably a tee for that reason. look at space for future connections for dishwasher, maybe garbage disposer. look at this page:

buffalobill

Ya i cant tell if i would have room or not. It seems that the trap would be lower than the horizontal drain pipe that comes out of the wall and therefore the pipe might be pointed up rather than level. That would mean there would always be water in the pipe / trap.

Reply to
scale

I went through this recently, replacing a double bowl with a modern very deep Kohler cast iron. As I recall, all the critical dimensions were available on the web, including where the wall drain pipe had to be located relative to the bottom of the sink. It's still a bit tricky though. For me the hard thing to figure out wasn't the height issue. My new sink has the drains located close to the back of the sink instead of the middle, (which I highly recommend, as it gives you more room without having small things go down the drain.) Plus, the sink is made so the bowls extend farther back than most bowls would. This puts the two sink drains very close to where the drain pipe comes out of the wall. So, my concern was having enough room and clearance to be able to line up the trap plumbiong within the tight contraints. However, when I got her in, in all went together real easy.

Reply to
trader4

i guess ill keep searching the web and see if i can find the page your talkin about :)

Reply to
scale

well i didnt yet find the site...still searching

i did take some demensions...

my kichten cabinet is 36 from floor to top

the drain pipe comes out of the wall horizontal at about 18 - 19 inches from the floor

dont know if that helps

Reply to
scale

It would be very unusual for you not to have enough room- you're only talking about a 2-3 inch difference at most (assuming existing sink is

6" (you said 7 or 8_) and new is 9". Just measure length of tailpipe from sink to top of trap and do the math.
Reply to
hwm54112