Heavy surf

A guy on the shore in New England, maybe Scituate Mass., showing his house to a reporter, showed how the deck boards were ripped from the joists by the heavy suft during the storm a few days ago, even though he used 1 3/4" screws.

Damage to the siding, etc. too.

Reply to
micky

No surprise. Tons of water beating against immovable objects tend to make them movable.

Reply to
rbowman

Yep, when man battles the environment, man seldom wins.

I just hope there is a government program so the wealthy republican can rebuild his ocean-front home.

Reply to
Environmental Whacko

It was MA, not many Republicans there. More likely it's the Kennedy clan. For further proof that wealth isn't exclusive to the Republican party, take a look at Congress. Despite the fact that there are many more epublicans than Democrats, of the top 10 wealthiest members of Congress,

8 are Democrats, lead by Jay Rockefeller, with a net worth of $108 mil. He's a good example and like the current Kennedy clan, he didn't earn it, he inherited it.
Reply to
trader_4

Since Democrats are generally less intelligent than Republicans, a rich man, wanting to get into politics, may choose to run as a Democrat since it is easier to get their vote.

Reply to
Frank

Judging by that statement...you must be a Democrat by your own hypothesis.

Reply to
bob_villa

That's not heavy surf mate. This is heavy surf:

trader_4

What about the wealthy democrats that have homes on the shore? Wonder if the Kennedy compound was damaged.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not anymore but I was one when this dawned on me.

A black co-worker friend told me that he became a registered Republican and became active in the party so he could be appointed to the city school board by the Republican governor. I never knew what his true politics were.

It is stupid to assume that one's wealth sets their political preference when running for office. When seeking office they take the easiest path and yes I think it is easier to fool Democrats.

Reply to
Frank

Charlie Baker became a Democrat when I wasn't looking? I lived in MA for a couple of years in the early '70s. During that time I voted for Edward Brooke for US Senator. He had two things going for him. He was a Republican and was the first African American Senator since the Reconstruction. I believe that could be further qualified as the first African American Senator that was actually elected by popular vote.

Then there was Mittins... I think there must be one or two Republicans in the state.

Reply to
rbowman

I agree, although this house did not look expensive. He had 6 feet of space between his house and the one next to his. It was a rectangular box, going up about 2 floors plus the roof, with old-fashioned siding, real clapboard or an old version of T1-11. The deck was not very big, and since he knew the length of the screws, I figured he built it himself. I'm guessing built in the '20's or '30's before tourists had gotten past Cape Cod

Reply to
micky

If it's a compound, it might be ionized.

It was hard to tell with the camera angle etc. but it looked like this guy was maybe only 20 feet from the water. It may have been an old house in the old part Scituate. Not the earliest part if that is downtown, which iiuc the map correctly is set back from the water, behind the bay, but on the shore close to the town.

Reply to
micky