heatpump question?

I live in northern virginia and have two outside Trane heat pumps for a 2 zone HVAC system. Recently I've heard one of the outside heatpump units operating without its corresponding inside blower. Is this normal? I've never noticed this before before, and was wondering if this might be a system problem. Thanks for your help!
It's Broke! Shut off the outdoor unit at the breaker before the danage becomes permanent. It could be in the outdoor unit, indoor unit, thermostat or wiring. If you shut it off fast enough, you will most likely prevent serious damage.
Then call a compentent tech. This is an electrical problem, beyond DIY.
Stretch
Steve
If he is cooling then it will just freeze up and possibly live through it, depending on hoiw many hours or days he runs it like that. If it is in heat mode, he will have a VERY high head pressure, Then the internal pressure relief trips, blowing hot gas into the suction and overheating the motor. The compressor trips on internal overload and shust off for a while. Then the overload resets and the whole thing repeats. Not good for the compressor. It may survive, but why take a chance. And, yes I remember Snowball. It took years of abuse to kill it! But I prefer not to abuse equipment on purpose.
Stretch
Sorry Steve, I thought that we were disagreeing, but I see now that we both agree. I must have misread your post.
BTW we should both be in bed at this hour :-).
Stretch
Are you sure it's not just running a few minutes after the inside blower shuts off? My heat pump does this, but I assumed it's part of the normal shutoff.

Oh yea...nothing like a Climatuff going POOF!

Snowball got lucky...:) If they were all Snowballs, there would be no need for replacements....ever...or for at least 25 years....and if I remember correctly, Snowball NEVER was cut off....I might be wrong on that, but I was under the impression that it ran from day one, with no power interruptions.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com /
http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm /

I know what happens to them, but my point was, no matter how good the equipment , the question isnt IF it will fail, but WHEN. Therefore, why risk a Snowball wannabe when he has no need to try to duplicate the experiment of years ago?? The fact that hes asking for a head pressure that MIGHT exceed over 300psi isnt a good thing, and what if the internals bad, or stuck? Better yet what if its not charged right as it is, the internals stuck, and hes got a weak spot in the *A* coil? Dont tell me you havent seen that....that a common thing at least here, and you are not far from us.. And people wonder why we had a garden hose on the vans for winter services...LOL

Its not 12:41...its 11:41...I HATE this time of year. LOL
Anyway...just got back in a while ago...had some paperwork to do and this was the next thing to do before hand.. Besides, Im taking the next week off basically. Gonna trap shoot Monday and Tuesday with the wife and some friends, and then, run a couple of little service calls on Wends, and go trout fishin at the falls Friday and Sat...who knows what Thursdays gonna be? I got the other guys working light this week as well...its out standard transition from winter to spring stuff, and it gives them a basically paid slow week to be on light shifts, and work as needed...only have a couple of insurance jobs Monday, a couple of light installs on Wends, and whatever comes in daily will get dispatched out as needed. Sleep? At this hour? Are you on drugs? LOL

Should be the other way around.
Units normally have a delay built in that works like this.
Call for heat, outdoor unit starts and runs for 30 to 45 seconds to start refrigeration process (in the case of a heat pump, its STILL a refrigeration process) and gain head pressure and heat at the indoor coil, indoor blower starts, runs till thermostat is satisfied, outdoor unit shuts off, and indoor blower runs up to 180 seconds to strip remaining heat from indoor coil.
Hi idreos, hope you are having a nice day
On 03-Apr-05 At About 08:01:34, idreos wrote to All Subject: heatpump question?
i> I live in northern virginia and have two outside Trane heat pumps i> for a 2 zone HVAC system. Recently I've heard one of the outside i> heatpump units operating without its corresponding inside blower. Is i> this normal? I've never noticed this before before, and was i> wondering if this might be a system problem. Thanks for your help!
This is a problem and should be looked at immediately. I would turn off the breaker for the outdoor unit until the problem is corrected.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
... "The problem with people is that they're only human." Hobbes
Is there a possobitlity it is in defrost?
--
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Bob Pietrangelo
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

If what you have said is correct and the thermostat has stopped calling for heat or cool and the outdoor unit is still running. You do have a problem that needs to be checked out. I also agree with the replies that said this unit should be shut down before more damage can be done.
Joseph

Depends:
Your air handler probably has a dely on/off (especially if it's one of the newer variable speed units). Delay could be as much as 60 seconds on start up and as much as 180 seconds on shutdown.
It has probably ALWAYS ran that way and (as you mentioned) you just never noticed it.
If you haven't had the system checked out in a while, it might not be a bad idea.