Heating water with Oil

message

A tempering valve tempers the domestic water from 180+ to (hopefully) 120° to 130°.

If you actually have a steam boiler, you don't have a thermostat on the system. You will have a pressurestat or a vaporstat.

Reply to
HeatMan

OK. The device I adjusted had such a range. So domestic water is the water that is heated for use in duties such as laundry. I guess I can say, a stand alone water heater would also be a source of domestic water. Tempering Valve - A valve used to mix heated water with cold in a heating system to provide a desired water temperature for end use.

Yes, the radiators are not filled with water. There are valves on the radiators, piping and an emergency valve sticking out of the boiler. (A. vaporstat is a very accurate pressure sensor ... ) I don't which would be "the vaporstat," but that I don't think I need to know about with regard to my initial question.

I guess there could be some cost savings by setting the tempering valve to a lower temperature, because less heated water would be needed to heat the domestic water.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Correct. Domestic or potable water is kept separate from the heating water.

Correct again. The only caveat is to remember the numbers on the top of the knob are not guaranteed to be accurate and that tempering valves can go bad adn stop working.

Basically put, a vaporstat measures the pressures no higher than 1 (one) PSI. A pressurestat measures pressures higher than that.

Correct for the 3rd time.

Reply to
HeatMan

Hi snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com, hope you are having a nice day

On 19-Jun-05 At About 20:20:50, snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote to All Subject: Re: Heating water with Oil

b> From: snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com

b> Could be you've: 1. steam-heating control t-stat which would, on b> calling for heat, run the burner until pressure hits limit. (Note b> that this situation would have the water in the domestic hot-water b> heat exchanger guessed at above essentially at 212 F.) 2. domestic b> hot-water t-stat that would keep the water around the heat-exchanger b> at set-point (like 140 F.) Golly, that's 70 deg cooler.

Actually a steam system with a water heater sidearm has the element in the water so it never should get any pressure in the system when it heats water only. and there is no circulator for the water heater or the baseboard. the only way there would be a circ pump would be if it was a recirc system so that the water was always hot at the taps but this is only done in commercial systems or a very large house.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2