Heating question

I live in a rowhouse with a York gas forced air heater. After the heater reaches temperture & shuts off,a minute or 2 later it comes right back on again & only stays on for a minute. Why does it do this ?

Reply to
desgnr

WHATS THE MODEL, EFFICIENCY RATING. HOW OLD.. THESE THINGS HAVE CHANGED ALOT ...

ds549

residual heat in the chamber turns the blower back on. Our overhead unit heater in our garage used to do that now and then. Sometimes in the summer it would turn on just from the summer heat.

Steve Barker

It is just sending some more heat back at you. It is a little more efficient that way. Not to worry.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Hi, With this answer, Is the air filter clean?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sounds like the temp switch setting on the furnace needs to be adjusted. The switch turns on the blower when it reaches a set high temp. It then remains on until the air cools down below a lower set temp. What is happening is that after the burner shuts off, after a couple mins, the temp drops below the lower point, turning the blower off. But there is still enough heat left that in another min or so, the temp rises back enough to reach the turn on point again.

I would think the way to solve this is to set the lower blower off point to a lower temp. That way it will stay on longer after the burner shuts off, take out more of the heat, and not kick on again.

Reply to
trader4

You are talking about OLD style furnace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

who you be talkin to?

Steve Barker

Maybe the thermostat was set that way. There is an adjustment that allows a temperature range adjustment. Make sure your thermostat is not in a drafty location.

Reply to
Phisherman

"desgnr" wrote in news:gmk93i$1gv4$ snipped-for-privacy@adenine.netfront.net:

Before I replaced it, the 30 year old furnace in this house did exactly that. It did it every time the heat shout off. I just assumed it's set to wait while some of the warm air from the duct walls returned to the free air in the duct work then push this into the house.

Reply to
Red Green

On many furnaces, the blower is controlled by a temperature switch. After the blower shuts off (maybe blowing cold air on the switch) there is still some heat left in the furnace. So, the heat makes its way to the fan and limit switch, and the fan kicks on again. Irritating, but not dangerous.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon