heating problems

I just bought a new house and being in Canada it is cold.

I've replaced the thermostat with an electronic programmable one (very good idea by the way!). But there is a problem that has come up.

For a few weeks there were no problems. But now, every morning I wake up and the house is freezing! For some reason the furnace won't turn on (the thermostat informs me that it has turned the furnace on). Throughout the day it is usually fine. The furnace will turn off and come back on before I get home from work... (except for once, recently). But overnight, when the house is cooling down a few degrees, I guess the furnace doesn't turn back on to warm it back up.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Reply to
jeff

Check the day and night temp settings on the thermostat, also check the day and night time settings.

Reply to
SlipKid

I tried that. This is the cycle (without being specific)

Mon-Fri early morning: heat up mid-morning: cool down early evening: heat up late night: cool down

Sat-Sun early morning: heat up late night: cool down

Reply to
jeff

I just got a programmable thermostat also - about 2 months ago, and I've noticed the same thing, but just once. It got very cold inside overnight (down to about 55, set point was 62), and it didn't warm up to 67 the next afternoon like it was supposed to. I clicked the temperature up and down once (up to 68 and back down to 67), and the furnace turned on and heated up just fine. It's been 3 or 4 days and it's been fine since then. What kind is yours? Mine's a Lux TX500b. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

I just bought a new house and being in Canada it is cold.

I've replaced the thermostat with an electronic programmable one (very good idea by the way!). But there is a problem that has come up.

For a few weeks there were no problems. But now, every morning I wake up and the house is freezing! For some reason the furnace won't turn on (the thermostat informs me that it has turned the furnace on). Throughout the day it is usually fine. The furnace will turn off and come back on before I get home from work... (except for once, recently). But overnight, when the house is cooling down a few degrees, I guess the furnace doesn't turn back on to warm it back up.

Any ideas on fixing this?

Reply to
jeff

This is Turtle.

jeff there can be two item to look at.

You need to go back and read the opetration instruction on the programing of the thermostat or go back and get a new [ Hunter ] Thermostat. The cheaper thermostats are doing odd thing when running them and i think you should go to a good thermostat like a Honewell or White/Rogers and not fool with the hunter and Lux trash. Now that is my opinion and others may very.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Never used one, but Lux quality has been panned by many of the pro's here. That could be the problem. Try a Honeywell.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Didn't know Lux was junk - twas bought by my landlord. I'll look for a Honeywell next time. Anyone else have problems with Lux? Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

Well, set the temperatures for each period to whatever you want, then punch "Run Program" or whatever it is called. Make sure the time is set correctly, especially am and pm.

Since it works during the day, I can't imagine that it is anything more than not setting it correctly. Anybody else in the house?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I have a lux of course its from HD so it Got to be good right, Ive had problems, Honywell are known quality, next time I buy a Honywell

Maybe your gas valve is sticking

Reply to
m Ransley

how do I fix or check for a sticky gas valve? just bought the house - my first forced air gas furnace (first house actually!).

Reply to
jeff

Ive had sticking gas valves occur on an old funace every winters startup, Im going to get reamed for saying this, but I hit it with a piece of wood, Lightly? and it would open.

Honestly get a pro, he will test everything and clean and adjust everything right. If you never had a pro look at it the time is now as I have found so many issues and learned from having a pros out. Saftey and efficiency may benefit greatly.

Reply to
m Ransley

Like I said - I just bought the house so the gas was turned on by a pro about one month ago. Should I be calling them and asking if I've got a sticky gas valve? I'm unemployed right now - so I'd prefer the "gentle" method best!

Are we talking about the inside (near the furnace) valve? Couldn't I just do it with an adjustable wrench?

Also, it's a Noma (I think that's right) thermostat. (I'm Canadian in case it can't be found south of the border)

Reply to
jeff

He's talking about a different valve. There's the gas valve to the whole house, that people turn off so nothing goes wrong when no one is there.

I don't have a gas furnace but he must be talking about an electric valve, that turns on when the thermostat says it needs heat.

It's certainly true that one should almost never think that a problem must be in one part., and if the thermostat works well enought to turn the heat on in the evening, it would be surprising a bit, if it couldn't do the same thing in the morning.**, but all knds of things go wrong with electronic devices*** so it could be thermostat (which I assume is all electronic except for the Heat/Off/AC switch and the Fan/On/Auto switch.

But maybe the furnace gets cold at night and the valve won't open in the morning but will in the afternoon. This seems unlikely too, since the furnace is probably in the basement where the termperature doesn't change as much as it does above ground. OTOH it does change some, and the furnace might be in some unusual location (after all, it is Canada :) ) where the night is more able to make things cold.

***For example, my vcr has started going to Cable, on it's own, whenever I scan the spectrum for active channels,, instead of sticking with Antenna. **I have a setback thermostat that is 21 years old and uses physical slide switches to adjust the two temperatures, the 4 on or off times, and uses 7 rocker switches to know what days there should be one setback and what days there should be two. It hasn't happened but t *would* be possible for part of the on-off-time slider switch to get dirty so that in the morning it didn't work and in the evening it did.

I don't know about brands. I'm looking for a themostat with a "NEXT" button.

mm

One time only, my programmable Honeywell acted up, on evening recovery. It was happy that it was in recovery mode and that the gas valve had been actuated. But, apparently its internal relay that actually provided actuation to valve did not make contact. A few smacks, and it's done exactly as expected since.

barry

I meant the gas valve on the furnace

Reply to
m Ransley

First, if you got a cheapy Lux, or Hunter stat, rip that POS off the wall and get a Robershaw/White Rodgers or even a Honeywell. Check your setback settings, and if the stat has it, your TD, or differential. some allow for differentals, or dead bands that vary on each programmable setting.

Also, make sure that your AM setting isnt for some reason set to PM...

If its a Honeywell, VisionPro, Honeywell is having issues with those on some gas units. Return it if you can and get a new one..and if its a Lux, or Hunter for sure take it back.

Reply to
CBHVAC

I had a customer yesterday with a lux. Customer "I set my stat to 65 at night but it is setting itself to 70 by the time I wake up." i ask him how he's "setting" it. The genius has the stat on hold, sets it to

65, then presses hold, which takes stat out of hold, into the program, runs stat at 65 for 15 minutes, then sets it to 70, which the program is calling for. And by the way, the manual for the stat is right there, wedged between the stat and the wall. DOH! Customers, gotta love em or you'll want to strangle them.
Reply to
almoran

I replaced the thermostat with a honeywell. seems to have fixed the problem. thanks guys. Now here's hoping that Canadian Tire will refund my money!

Reply to
jeff