heating problem

For some reason my gas heater isn't working properly. I can't get the heat to go on using the thermostat unless I disconnect it and reconnect it to the base. The problem with that is the heat will only go on for one cycle and it won't go on again unless I do the same thing again. My friend happened to have a spare of the same thermostat. I connected his to my base but the same thing happened. The wires on the base seem like they are connected and not loose. Has anyone seen a problem like this before or have any suggestions ? Thanks.

Reply to
Jake020

Go to the store and buy 5 or 6 more thermostats. Eventually it will work!

Don't bother picking up the phone and calling a repair company out. Just keep asking a bunch of people on the internet who can't see your furnace from their house.

BRILLIANT!!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

The problem is not in the thermostat or thermostat wiring. The problem is in the control circuit of the heater. Call a qualified HVAC contractor before you short something out and it costs you more money than if you call him now.

Reply to
Bob

May I suggest:

1) if all else fails, read the instructions. 2) if that fails, seek competent local help to fix problem, and avoid silly risk of fire/explosion. Your insuror will thank you, besides your neighbors.

If you really want help here, you gotta fill in the blanks in your description.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Most instructions don't teach a home owner how to repair equipment, so you can skip #1 and go directly to #2.

Reply to
Bob

if its a 2 wire thermostat for heat only, shorting them to one another should trip on the furnace, but may damage some newer timer thermostats.

I have shorted mine for testing and never caused a problem, although the thermostat directions warn of it.

all these hire pro comments bug me, at least the person should try some basic troubleshooting, its how most of us learned originally

Reply to
hallerb

Freakin ding bat. Do you do your own heart valve diagnosing and repair too? In case you havent noticed, heating parts and the labor necessary to complete them are NOT inexpensive anymore. Monkeying around in there can cost lots-o-dollars. Your chance of making a magical repair are very slim. Fix it right and fix it the first time. Call someone that knows. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heating and cooling repair isn't internal medicine. The last time my heater crapped out, I was able to do basic troubleshooting on it using the manual that came with the unit, and was able to talk intelligently to the technician when I did call him. As a result, he had the right part on the truck (which he wouldn't have if I hadn't done the basic troubleshooting), and was able to fix it that day.

With the construction boom in my area, if a homeowner can give some basic information, it can mean the difference between getting squeezed in at the end of a busy day, or having to wait a week for service.

Granted, the OP should have given more information, but there was no reason to jump on him like some did.

Reply to
Pick

You're right, heating is not internal medicine, but the average home owner ends up doing more harm than good to their system. Most people don't even know how to use a meter, let along trouble shoot a problem. Companies who do only new construction hire unskilled mechanics, because builders are cheap. Any truck set up for new construction will not have ample repair parts. If you insist on hiring that type of company, then you may have to wait a week for service and/or the proper repair part. You need to find a company who puts the emphasis on service, but I suspect that you wouldn't want to pay for that kind of quality.

Reply to
Bob

Agreed. I just killfile that crowd. They offer no guidance, just fatmouth.

Reply to
NickySantoro

"Bob" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you're an HVAC, why would you complain about that? Some homeowner screwing up their system means more work (and money) for you.

Where I live (Atlanta), there is a lot of new construction and remodeling, and not a lot of people to do the work. A lot of the electricians/plumbers/HVAC guys in my local area drive 60 to 70 miles to new construction/remodels northeast of Atlanta. They split their time between that area and their home area because they can make twice as much per hour up there as they can at home.

That's your baseless opinion. My baseless opinion is that you have no idea what you are talking about because if you were an HVAC guy, you'd probably be on your way to a job at 7:30 on a Tuesday morning. Everyone has an opinion though.

For your edification, my method of selecting contractors/repairmen normally goes like this:

Go to local hardware store and ask the old guy at the back counter who he uses

Ask neighbors who they have used

Check Angie's List

Ask friends who they have used

Pick the guy that is recommended by all, or recommended by most.

I've found that method works pretty good. I'm not real concerned on the price. When I do bring someone out, I value quality work. I also value honesty and a willingness to answer questions. The person that meets that laundry list gets my business long term.

Pick

Reply to
Pick

Anything basic and using the manual that came with it is ok. Im not quite sure I understand how you talking to the tech made him magically have the part on his truck? It was either there or he had to run and go get it before he came there. Either way, the customer always pays. The customer IS always right but the customer always pays too. :-) Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He called me that morning to get directions and then asked what it was doing. I told him what it was doing, what I had done to troubleshoot, and what type of furnace it was. I had also Googled the furnace and found out that the particular furnace had a history of problems with the flow valve (I had inherited the furnace because I recently bought the house). When I mentioned that problem, it clicked with the repairman, and he postponed the appointment until the next day so he could pick up the right valve from his shop.

When the repair was done, I was very inpressed with how quickly and professionally the job was accomplished. As a result, I also had him change out my thermostats that I had planned on doing myself and purchased a service agreement from him for the annual cleaning and inpection for both my heating and cooling systems.

Pick

Reply to
Pick

You sound like one of the few that does it the right way. Congrats and "Atta-boy" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba